JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with newer Jazz releases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with newer Jazz releases
    Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 1:06pm

Hi,

When I found this website about 3 weeks ago I thought it would be a gateway to finding hundreds of new bands I like and discovering whole new sub genres like the PA was for me about two years ago. About a year ago, through the PA, I started discovering and falling in love with Fusion. I went from canterburry bands like gilgamesh and national health to jazz rock bands like passport and nucleus and brand x, and became obsessed with Bitches Brew for a good while there (although I still don't enjoy any of Miles' other albums)

So the point is, I thought this website would bring me to enjoy newer jazz instead of jsut the 70's fusion stuff. But so far I don't like much of what I've heard. I'm assuming their is stuff out there in newer avant jazz that I'd love, but I haven't been lsitening to the right stuff. It all sounds like random noise to me. Don't get me wrong, I love weirdness and dissonance, but I like my weirdness and dissonance organized and tightly played, but it seems like all I'm hearing so far is improved music.

For example, I just listened to Satoko Fujii Ma-Do's Heatwave. I loved the composed parts of the title track and the songs Mosaic and Spiral Staircase, but the rest just seems like pointless improv to me.

Can anyone recommend me some tightly composed avant jazz for me? The only other newer jazz-ish stuff I like so far is Led Bib's last 2 albums, The Claudia Quintet has 1-2 good tracks per album, and I love The Bad Plus up to the album they added vocals (oh yeah, I'm absolutely looking for instrumental music here, I HATE jazz with vocals)

I'm sure their is some stuff out there that I'd love but have yet to discover but I need some help finding it, please recommended artists and specific albums and I'll check everything out. I'm a picky bastard, so don't take it personnal if I dislike what you recommend, but believe me I appreciate anyone who tries
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 1:15pm
I know Led Bib (not very happy with their most current album though), Claudia Quintet is interesting in moments but far not so good as whole release. Briefly I could suggest to try one of two Swedish band Angles album, both are interesting combination of very modern Nordic jazz (nu jazz) and avant-garde tradition from their gold age (late 60s-early 70s).

There are some short samples:

Edited by snobb - 04 Jun 2011 at 1:17pm
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 2:08pm

Modern Avant jazz tends not to be tightly composed. Try other genres, post-70s eclectic fusion might be right up your alley, start with Medeski, Martin & Wood. they can be a little free but hopefully not too much. Also you might enjoy Nu-Jazz personally I like Jaga Jazzist.

Speaking of Fujii though her duets with Yoshida tend to be quite composed but very very dissonant.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 2:54pm
I'd say you should listen to Esbjorn Svensson Trio, MeTaL-O-PHoNe and Elephant9
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 3:56pm
I said I'm picky, don't want to complain, and I appreciate everyone's suggestions, but I think by posting what I liked as well as what I didn't like, someone out there might get a better feel of what I'm looking for.

Angles - Too "safe" for me, too melodic
Medeski, Martin & Wood - not enough going on. maybe I heard the wrong songs, any suggestions?
Jaga Jazzist I have heard before and did not enjoy
Esbjorn Svensson Trio - too soft for my tates, although interesting
Metal-o-phone - This got my attention, going to rock the whole album before I say I really like it, but most likely this will end up on my ipod
Elephant9 - Have heard them before because I'm a big Shinning fan and elephant9 features one of their members (we're taking the norwegian metaljazz band that released the epic Blackjazz album, not that whiny emo black metal band from sweden)

if anyone has any other suggestions I will give anything a spin to see if it fits my picky picky tastes
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 3:57pm
Henry Threadgill is my favourite current Avante. He is out there but still mantains structure as well as using elements from other genres.
Two below might be good starting place. Bill Laswell produced "Where's your Cup"

Wheres Your Cup?

If you are still not happy with the Avante, there is another genre............Afro Cuban Big smile

The two recent Threadgill albums "This Brings Us To Vol 1 and 2" are a tad more full on Avante which is why I did not suggest them but they are very good.

Matt
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by seb2112 seb2112 wrote:

I said I'm picky, don't want to complain, and I appreciate everyone's suggestions, but I think by posting what I liked as well as what I didn't like, someone out there might get a better feel of what I'm looking for.

Try Gustafsson's new project Fire!  I really like their debut album, but it's too "unsafe" and noisy for many jazz purists.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 4:46pm
Jazz "purists" don't mind noise, they just don't like incompetence. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 5:27pm

Metal-o-phone - This got my attention, going to rock the whole album before I say I really like it, but most likely this will end up on my ipod

In that case I'd check out Jean Louis too, if you haven't.

By the way, my avatar here is a picture of metal-o-phone

Edited by triceratopsoil - 05 Jun 2011 at 5:28pm
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 5:32pm
Esbjorn Svensson trio, Mathias Eick, Lars Danielsson and generally nu jazz artists.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:36pm

Which album did you listen to?  I find Lecocyte and Tuesday Wonderland are a lot more intense than, say, Seven Days of Falling.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 8:09am
Daniel Levin Quartet-Organic Modernism
Joe McPhee & Decoy @ Cafe Oto 
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 7:09pm

Medeski, Martin & Wood - not enough going on. maybe I heard the wrong songs, any suggestions?
Jaga Jazzist I have heard before and did not enjoy
Elephant9 - Have heard them before because I'm a big Shinning fan and elephant9 features one of their members (we're taking the norwegian metaljazz band that released the epic Blackjazz album, not that whiny emo black metal band from sweden)

if anyone has any other suggestions I will give anything a spin to see if it fits my picky picky tastes
Its hard for me to reccomend things to you as I strongly dislike 80% of classic fusion.... you would probably like Bela Fleck though, he has done some stuff with Corea that is really great and also his solo work is classic fustion based but with an interesting rootsy american blue grass sound.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 10:13pm
Zu

Jean Louis

Edited by harmonium.ro - 07 Jun 2011 at 1:02pm
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

In that case I'd check out Jean Louis too, if you haven't.

By the way, my avatar here is a picture of metal-o-phone

I got tired of Metal-o-phone very quickly, too ambient, too limited because of the instruments involved for my tastes. I've already heard Jean Louis, too random and noisy for me. Everyone else's suggestion I will soon get around to listening, been busy the last couple of days.

I'm playing some Zu right now, Carboniferous, not hooked yet but it's only been 2 tracks
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Which album did you listen to?  I find Lecocyte and Tuesday Wonderland are a lot more intense than, say, Seven Days of Falling.
It was indeed Seven Days Of Falling, I'll give some tracks on the albums you mentioned a listen see if it hooks me in. Any particular track I should start with?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 10:13pm

all of Leucocyte, really

Edited by triceratopsoil - 07 Jun 2011 at 10:30pm
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 8:47am

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic