Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [85.71%]
1 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caravan (the song)
    Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 3:11pm
Although Duke Ellington did not write it ( Juan Tizol)  came up with the original structure and the Duke fine tuned it. How many versions are out there ? How many grains of sand on the beach or stars in the universe ?
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 3:25pm
As a collector of exotica records and Latin pop, I probably have 20 to 30 versions of that song. 
In my old exotica lounge duo act in San Francisco, you can bet it was on the set list.
I voted yes, as much as I used to love that tune, going through piles of exotica and easy listening records I've picked up at thrift stores finally wore me out. Don't even mention 'Fly me to the Moon'.
By the way, I'm going to fine tune your title, there's a lot of confused rock fans wandering around here.  Wink

Edited by js - 03 Jun 2011 at 4:36pm
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 3:57pm
Never too many.

Heart
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

As a collector of exotica records and Latin pop, I probably have 20 to 30 versions of that song. 
In my old exotica lounge duo act in San Francisco, you can bet it was on the set list.
I voted yes, as much as I used to love that tune, going through piles of exotica and easy listening records I've picked up at thrift stores finally wore me out. Don't even mention 'Fly me to the Moon'.
By the way, I'm going to fine tune your title, there's a lot of confused rock fans wandering around here.  Wink

Right! But this composition is classic.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 5:48pm
Yes!
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:15pm
Done to death ..........but there is one tune that I never want to hear another version of, even more so, That is  "Guantanamera". I am so over that one as well. Tongue
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:24pm
^ that was in our set list too, also "Flamingo"  Ermm     ..you could probably guess the rest.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

^ that was in our set list too, also "Flamingo"  Ermm     ..you could probably guess the rest.
LOL I did again.........."foot in mouth" Big smile
Matt
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 12:40am
Doesn't  bother me as long as the cover is not an exact copy , e.g Wyatt's cover on "What a wonderful world" or Avishai Cohen's "Besame Mucho".
Much of the vocal jazz is based on covers.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 8:22pm
I like the traditional arrangement of it, Big Band Style, 2 that stand out for me are,  the Erich Kunzel conducted Big Band Hit Parade with Doc Severinson, Telarc label, and the Duke at Tanglewood version with the boston pops, it's completely over the top, I love it, also A quartet version by Joe Newman with Oliver Nelson on Alto is very good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic