JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which member of Toto is most important to jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: which member of this band can say to done most for the contemp jazz sc
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [33.33%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which member of Toto is most important to jazz
    Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 8:18am
vote for the most influential to the Jazz scene of the members of the AOR band Toto... directly or indirectly

Edited by Asmodean - 03 Jun 2011 at 5:53pm
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 9:02am
Selection from list / Jeff Porcaro Subjective opinion / Nathan East
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 11:57am
Until this poll, I had no idea that Toto had any significant contribution to jazz music
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:15pm
well they are jazz musicians
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:18pm
and they have a jazz track on every 12 studio album, and they have Jazz musicians such as Jason Sheff, James Pankow, Walter Parazider and Miles Davis on there records, and they have played on over 100 jazz and jazz related albums here on JMA.

triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by idlero idlero wrote:

Until this poll, I had no idea that Toto had any significant contribution to jazz music
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:26pm
here are the jazz songs or jazz related songs on Totos discographie

Edited by Asmodean - 01 Jun 2011 at 12:30pm

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:36pm
this is David Paichs father (the main songwriter in Toto) http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/marty-paich.aspx?ac=marty, Joseph Williams father is the movie score composer John Williams (Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Arc, ET, Harry Potter, Jurasic Park),

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 12:48pm
here is Toto covering Herbie Hancock

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 5:51pm
who voted for Greg?? why

i love Greg by the way Heart hes song on Totos Falling In Between, album is realy good....

this is Gregs Toto song ( lead vocals Greg)

Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Asmodean Asmodean wrote:

well Toto are jazz musicians

triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2011 at 6:50pm
No they aren't just like we told you at MMA that they aren't metal musicians 
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 3:30am
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

No they aren't just like we told you at MMA that they aren't metal musicians 

but they are FAAAR more related to jazz then metal, they have a hard edge on some songs but ther basic influence are from jazz and funk, they are most of them schooled and trained session musicians who are well verced in all genres, they can swip/swich styles in seconds, and sounds as good/professional when they play rock as when they play fusion, few band are as flexible as Toto when it comes to go infor a sound. but the mater of fact the original lineupp of Toto are basicly a jazz/funk/soul trained band, and most of their songs have a funky flare in the backbones of their songs, they are as groovy as Earth Wind and Fire, Steely Dan and even James Brown, so I agree they are NOT  metal influenced band (exept the guitarist Steve Lukather who is an inovator of metal style guitar technice and playing, who gives Toto the harder edge), all the others are full on jazz musicians, Jeff Porcaro is one of the most influential jazz drummers of the 70s and 80s, together with Gadd and Colaiuta they have influenced many of the modern jazz style drummers, like Gavin Harrison and the likes,  David Paich is the son of the legendary jazz producer Marty Paich, he have literly have had Coltraine, Miles, Fats Domino, Telonius Monk, and all the jazz greats in the livingroom of his house, or as close friends to the family, and his piano style is jazz, with flavours of classical, funk, country and gospel,)

yes they are mostly known as a AOR band but that is just half of the truth, they have played so many styles of music that music crittics have givve up labeling them, it is just to hard to pin them down in one caskin they are just to all-over-the-place,  but as a core they are most certainly a jazz/funk based band allways have and allways will be,  it is in theyr DNA...

but as any professional band they know how to rock out, they are as confortable on stage as in the studio, so that gives them more proe and sought after, they were a really good and coocking live band and a solid and tight as glue in the studio, they are professionalist, and they work their asses of in the studio, in the 80s they were on so many records spanning from Elton John, Aretha Franklin, Lionell Richie, Herbie Hancock, Chicago, Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Michael Jackson,

Edited by Asmodean - 04 Jun 2011 at 3:39am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic