JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

John Coltrane - Ascension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: John Coltrane - Ascension
    Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 12:44pm
What's the difference between the original release and the 1991 reissue, which contains Editions 1 & 2, whose lengths are 38 and 40 minutes, in comparison to the original release which contains the title track divided into 2 parts, whose lengths are 19 and 18 minutes ?
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:22pm
All material, released on "Ascension" has been recorded during one session on June 28, 1965. So called "Edition 1" contains SECOND take from this session which initially has been released as "Ascension" vinyl LP in 1965 (and some later represses). At one moment Coltrane decided that FIRST take is better and label changed the material on all later reissues to it. As a result, depending on year of release, one can hear SECOND or FIRST takes of the same original material on the album titled "Ascension".  

On the 1991 version you mentioned above you can hear both FIRST and SECOND takes in one place
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:14pm
Does edition 1 sound different than edition 2 ?
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 12:40pm
both are same composition's two different takes, recorded with same band in same studio same day

I believe hot fans/collectors/researchers will mention some differences, but for regular listener I would say both sound quite similar
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 1:59pm
^ they are pretty similar. I believe the order of the soloists is slightly different on the two editions and one of them (I think the second) doesn't have a drum solo.

But if you like one I'd imagine you'd like/would want to hear them both.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
jazzlover98 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzlover98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 3:03am
very interesting
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic