JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Free Funk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Funk
    Posted: 28 May 2011 at 9:14am
I posted this on PA and was referred to this website. I recently fell in love with Ernette Coleman's OF HUMAN FEELINGS. I'm looking for more music around the same lines, funky, instrumental fusion. From what they suggested over on the PA forum, the only thing that hooked me was Brotherhood Of Breath. Anything else along the same lines that I should check out?? Artist and specific albums please.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 9:29am
I own a lot of Ornette records from that avant-garde funk part of his career, unfortunately I don't own Human Feelings so I don't know exactly what it sounds like, but I have reviews up for 'Dancing in your Head', 'Virgin Beauty', 'In all Languages' and 'Tone Dialing' if you want to read what they are about, my favorite is probably 'Tone dialing' , but 'Dancing in Your Head' is fun in its goofy simplicity.

One of the best I've heard in this genre is Steve Coleman, I can't recommend a specific album because most of what I have is scattered on various mix tapes recorded from friends albums etc.
Another you might want to check out is Jamaladeen Tacuma.
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:13am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

I own a lot of Ornette records from that avant-garde funk part of his career, unfortunately I don't own Human Feelings so I don't know exactly what it sounds like, but I have reviews up for 'Dancing in your Head', 'Virgin Beauty', 'In all Languages' and 'Tone Dialing' if you want to read what they are about, my favorite is probably 'Tone dialing' , but 'Dancing in Your Head' is fun in its goofy simplicity.

One of the best I've heard in this genre is Steve Coleman, I can't recommend a specific album because most of what I have is scattered on various mix tapes recorded from friends albums etc.
Another you might want to check out is Jamaladeen Tacuma.

I looked into it and Jamaladeen Tacuma actually played bass on Of Human Feelings along with several other Ornette albums. I'll check out his solo stuff, thanks
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 11:47am
Go with that "Virgin Beauty" Wink
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2011 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Go with that "Virgin Beauty" Wink

Couldn't get into it. Of Human Feelings manages to never fall into what I concider cheezy funk, and no other coleman recording manages to do that. Even Brotherhood Of Breath turned out to only have 2 tracks I enjoyed (on those 2 tracks they sound like Hypnotic Brass Ensemble 30 years earlier) I guess I'm too picky for free funk, I gave tales of captain black another try and couldn't  enjoy it
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2011 at 10:52pm
sorry. I still am not 100% sure about "free-funk" or what happens to be considered classic in that genre
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 6:42pm

sorry. I still am not 100% sure about "free-funk" or what happens to be considered classic in that genre
No worries, it's my fault for being a picky bastard. Thanks for trying
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by seb2112 seb2112 wrote:

No worries, it's my fault for being a picky bastard. Thanks for trying

No problem Smile
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 5:38pm
Heliocentrics? a fave little band of mine, they blend funk with jazz with hip hop with african music.
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 2:17pm
Not exactly FREE FUNK, not even jazz I guess, but a great funk jam album, check out Experience Unlimited 's debut, self-titled album if anyone out there has the itch for insutrmental funk with a slightly progressive edge.

Speaking of, has Parliament/Funkadelic ever released an instrumental album?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 2:21pm
Fred Wesley and the Horny Horns (the horn section for p-funk, and before that, James Brown as the JBs) did some instrumental p funk albums, although sometimes there are incidental vocals.
I believe Maceo has done similar things. 
I have some reviews up for Fred Wesley, but I think they may be under the JBs name.
seb2112 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seb2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Fred Wesley and the Horny Horns (the horn section for p-funk, and before that, James Brown as the JBs) did some instrumental p funk albums, although sometimes there are incidental vocals.
I believe Maceo has done similar things. 
I have some reviews up for Fred Wesley, but I think they may be under the JBs name.
I just realised that E.U. album isn't completely instrumental. oddly enough the vocal tracks don't bug me that much, I usually can't stand funk vocals.

I've heard Maceo's stuff and didn't enjoy it much, but I'll give it another listen if you can recommend a specific album.

I'll give this Fred Wesley guy a chance, never heard of him or the JBs, once again, a specific album to start with would be very helpful, thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic