JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First names in database

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First names in database
    Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:42am
Couldn't help but notice that some entries are under the first name of the artiste, rather than the family name...

Example: Manfred Mann's Chapter three are entered under Manfred, rather than Mann

I've noticed this a few times in recent days, but forgot to write them down.... I propose this thread is used for repairing these errors...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:55am
Yeah, list them here.
I'll change the Manfred Mann one, but sometimes when a person's name is part of the band name, then last name no longer goes first, for instance Sly and the Family Stone goes under 'Sly'.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 6:57am
done

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:11am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Yeah, list them here.
I'll change the Manfred Mann one, but sometimes when a person's name is part of the band name, then last name no longer goes first, for instance Sly and the Family Stone goes under 'Sly'.

jeeeeeez, I was going to report next Dan SteelyLOLTongue being under SWackoStern Smile

I was going to say that your Sly remark went without saying, but it's useful to remind it.Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:46am
ACHENZA, PAOLO TRIO  >> shouldn't this read Achenza Trio, Paolo      - no it shouldn't
BRINK , BERT VAN DEN  >> not sure about this, but Van Den Brink, Bert    - correct as is
CYR, JOHNNY ST  >>< most likely St Cyr, Johnny     - correct as is
FE, ALFREDO DE LA >> De La Fe , Alfredo, no doubt          - correct as is
GASPERINI, LONNIE ORGAN TRIO   >>> Gasperini Organ Trio, Lonnie ??        - fine as is
GUMBS, ALLEN ONAJE  >> really not sure about this one , but Onaje Gumbs, Allen   - no, this is fine as is
HONING, YURI WIRED PARADISE >> Honing Wired Paradise, Yuri, mabe ??      - fine as is
JOĆO GILBERTO & ASTRUD GILBERTO  >>> Gilberto, Joao & Astrud     - thats what it says already

Ok I'm through from A until K, I'll proceed with the rest ASAP

Edited by js - 26 May 2011 at 5:13am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:55am
Go ahead and list them, I'll look into them later, some are correct as is, some are not.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 12:11pm
You can't put Paolo Achenza Trio as a sort name of Achenza Trio, Paolo because that will make the automatic sort alphabetize by Achenza Trio and not just Achenza.
Achenza is the correct alphabetical sort name for this artist.
I don't think you understand this sites automatic sort system.

Also, if you don't understand bibliographical alphabetizing I can help you, part of my Masters degree in music involved classes in musical bibliography.

All the same, I will check the others.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 3:17am

You can't put Paolo Achenza Trio as a sort name of Achenza Trio, Paolo because that will make the automatic sort alphabetize by Achenza Trio and not just Achenza.
Achenza is the correct alphabetical sort name for this artist.
I don't think you understand this sites automatic sort system.

Also, if you don't understand bibliographical alphabetizing I can help you, part of my Masters degree in music involved classes in musical bibliography.

All the same, I will check the others.

I know that Achenza is the correct alphabetical order, I'm not hinting that it should be anywhere else than in the A section

but the way it is written right now implies that the full name is Paolo Trio Achenza instead of Paolo Achenza Trio, because Trio is after the coma.
See where l'm getting at?

Now I understand the specificity of jazz and the multiple projects needing to come under one name for simplicity's sake, but then one should just have Achenza,  Paolo     if there are works presented under some other form than the trio.

Edited by Sean Trane - 24 May 2011 at 3:22am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:25am
Sometimes compromises are made, the listing is incorrect grammatically, but correct alphabetically, the alphabetical concern trumps. It has to be written that way because of how the sort system works here.
Also, don't assume that he released records outside that trio, all of the artists here are researched pretty thoroughly before being added, some mistakes are made of course, but few artists are added in some kind of hurried rush without any listening or reading.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 9:04am

Sometimes compromises are made, the listing is incorrect grammatically, but correct alphabetically, the alphabetical concern trumps. It has to be written that way because of how the sort system works here.

Wokey fine with me...

I won't raise anymore of these specific examples once I go through the rest of the list

Also, don't assume that he released records outside that trio, all of the artists here are researched pretty thoroughly before being added, some mistakes are made of course, but few artists are added in some kind of hurried rush without any listening or reading.

I wasn't suggesting anything of the sort in terms of hurried inclusions.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 10:07am
I know that, I'm just saying that if he was included as a trio, there's a good chance all the records he has released are under that trio name, I'll check it out though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 7:43am
Anyway, here's more things to check out (I'm not listing the trios, ensemble  or quartet issue anymore)

LA PLAYA SEXTET >> La is an article, so Playa Sextet, La maybe??       - corrected
LAMBERT, HENDRICKS AND ROSS  >> sounds fishy >> Hendricks is normally a surname      -nothing fishy, very popular jazz vocal group
LES DOUBLE SIX  >> Les is an article >> Doubles Six, Les    - corrected
L'IMAGE  >> L' is an article >> so Image, L'        - apparently l'image is their accepted sort name
MORAES, VINICIUS DE  >>> Normally De Moraes, Vinicius, no?           - no
PARLIAMENT  >>> isn't this Parliaments, The (could be wrong on this though)       - they changed to Parliament long ago
PHAROHS, THE  >>< should read Pharaohs, The      - corrected
PIERRE MOERLEN'S GONG >> no expl necessary I presume     - changed to Gong (Pierre Moerlen's)
PIERRE DORGE'S NEW JUNGLE ORCHESTRA >> ditto      - corrected
RA, SUN >>> I think most people would expect Sun Ra in S    - I know all jazz books don't
REYES JR, WALFREDO DE LOS >> De Los Reyes, Alfredo , no??           - no
ROMAO, DOM UM >> I believe this should be Um Romau, Dom (not overly positive, though)      - correct as is
SCHLIPPENBACH, ALEXANDER VON , >>> Von Schlippenbach, alex       - correct as is
SMITH, LONNIE LISTON >> positive it should be Liston-Smith, Sonny      - correct as is, Sonny Liston is a boxer
VACHE', WARREN >> absolutely not sure, but the apostrophe after Vache???        - corrected, 
VASIL HADŽIMANOV BAND, >>> Vasil is a first name >> Vassili in Russian        - corrected
VIOLA, PAULINHO DA >>> Da Viola, Paulinho     - correct as is
WILLSON, CASSANDRA  >> Wilson with a second "l"???       - corrected
WINSTONE , NORMA  >> no space between Winstone and the coma (I'm nitpicking, here, uh??)       - Slava doesn't leave the space for the comma, you'll find a million like that, the sort process ignores it so no big deal, you only see it on the edit page

M to Z done

I'msure I missed some, though

Edited by js - 26 May 2011 at 7:35am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:29am
Just glancing at this, you're right about Playa Sextet, that will be corrected.
Parliament started out as The Parliaments long ago, but became Parliament very early in their career.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 9:39am
If you don't know Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, then you don't know jazz.  Wink

Every jazz book I own lists Sun Ra under Ra.

Edited by js - 25 May 2011 at 9:40am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:31am

If you don't know Lambert, Hendricks and Ross, then you don't know jazz.  Wink

Every jazz book I own lists Sun Ra under Ra.

what did L,H & R do that is so essential???Confused i mean if that was really all that essential, I figure I'd know about it, now that I'm nearing 50.

I guess vocal jazz was never my thingOuch... except for the odd Satchmo tunesWink

even Billie and Ella bore me to shreads.Tongue
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 11:50am
They are one of the most popular jazz vocal groups of all time.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 2:16am

They are one of the most popular jazz vocal groups of all time.

they certainly didn't hang around a long time...ShockedTongue

I've checked my library system... they've goit all three albums... I'll rent one of them tocheck it out. >< thanks for the header Wink (unless I hate itTongue, of course)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic