JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chick Corea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:27am
I always liked the RTF album Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy best, I always thought everything after that doesn't have the same raw sound, I think I like Bill Connors on guitar better on that album,  though I like much of the De Meola RTF stuff, "Hymn" always will be my favorite.

Light as a Feather and the first self titles album on ECM, Has very little to do with the The fusion classics,

Another album worth checking out is the Stan Getz album Captain Marvel, Some of the fieriest Getz playing he ever did, Chick is very good on the album.

Edited by darkprinceofjazz - 23 Dec 2011 at 9:31am
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2011 at 9:40am
Chick Corea said. It was MO with the opportunity when RTF transferred directionality about musicality. Chick Corea wanted to show feelings like MO. The album that Miles Davis announced it in the 70s was not an opportunity.

The RTF stopped producing an album such as 1st and 2nd. As a result, Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy is an overwhelming album for me.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:46pm
Am I allowed to postulate here that The Mothership Returns serves as both a perfect summary of Chick Corea's career, and his confirmation as the grand maestro of the keyboards?  
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 5:59pm
Keyboards maybe,  ... piano not likely.
darkprinceofjazz View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkprinceofjazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Keyboards maybe,  ... piano not likely.

I would agree with that statement, though he did earn a little bit of love with the late 60's early 70's stuff he did in Circle.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 8:02pm
^ That's my favorite Chick Corea, his early career.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2013 at 12:55pm
Been enjoying Tones for Jone's Bones, an album I always knew about but only decided to check out recently. Great stuff, up there with Herbie Hancock's 60s albums.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 6:33pm
Speaking of Circle....

Just got Circle's Paris Concert...is there any other Circle stuff still in print? Has Circulus ever made the transition to CD?
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 6:49pm
There is a Blue Note Chick Corea compilation from his early years called "Circling In". Apparently its not on the site yet, but it has several Circle studio cuts, as well as some other early Corea playing, its my favorite Chick Corea album.
I would tell you what albums the Circle cuts come from, but its light yellow print on an old beige album cover. It was barely readable a long time ago, pretty much impossible now.
This compilation album is not important to collectors and can be bought fairly cheap. I don't know if they have anything on CD.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 10:31pm
Thanks.

I suspect they haven't been...can't even find any on Ebay. Alas...this seems like a good opportunity for one of them ECM boxes they seem to be putting out now-a-days.

And while I obviously haven't heard the album you are referring  to, I do quite like this side of CC's playing, so much so that I do think it's my favorite from him as well.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 1:55am
 Original Chick Corea studio debut("Circle 2: Gathering"), released in 1971 on CBS/Sony in Japan was re-released on CD in 1996 by Corea's own Stretch label,just with different cover art (in Japan only as well). Reissue is rarity though as well

Same with their true debut, live album from 1971, it have been re-released by Corea's Stretch in Japan on CD (1996,different cover)

Their only European release, "Paris Concert"(on ECM) have been re-issued many times by ECM on CD, both in Europe and States (and in Japan as well)

"Circling In" John mentioned is not real compilation, but album of previously unreleased out-takes,etc. It contains only unreleased material, so it counts as regular album and is added here among studio albums.  It was released on Blue Note(1975) in their "The Blue Note Re-Issue Series" and as much as I know have been never re-released on CD.

It has continuation as "Circulus", which was released in 1978 in France and never re-issued since that (on Blue Note's same series and as Chick Corea's album as well - contains previously unreleased material).

Originally above album is part of Japanese only series of two albums containing unreleased material "Circulus vol.1" and "Circulus vol.2". Both together these albums were released as "Circulus" in US as well

CHICK COREA - Circulus (Circle) cover

The only other album(besides "Paris Concert"), released in States on CD is real compilation, "Early Circle" (1992,Blue Note)

Edited by snobb - 29 Jun 2014 at 4:32am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 2:51am
Related band (same trio just without Braxton) A.R.C. released album in 1971,which was re-issued on CD (ECM)

Edited by snobb - 29 Jun 2014 at 4:25am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 5:40am
Apparently "Circling In" is from three different recording sessions. One session with several cuts has a trio of Corea, Braxton and Holland, basically Circle without Altschul.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 6:21pm
And by ECM I of course meant Blue Note. Embarrassed

Thanks for that quite detailed  response! Hopefully one day they will make the transition to the digital world.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2014 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Related band (same trio just without Braxton) A.R.C. released album in 1971,which was re-issued on CD (ECM)

This is also on my radar, and I'll probably pick it up at some point. Thumbs Up
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
buddy_rich View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddy_rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2014 at 5:32am
'Hello again' is my favourite RTF track - very unusual but good sounding vocals, Stanley Clarke on bass, tight drummer, horn section to die for...I could go on!
1983 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 10:12am
Return to Forever's 'Romantic Warrior' album is up there with his best work in my view. 

A mix of Chick's acoustic piano and electronic keyboard playing along with the musical talents of Clarke, Di Meola and White makes this album one of the finest I've ever listened to. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2014 at 8:38pm
I agree. Romantic Warrior is one of the greatest albums ever made, let alone one of the best jazz-fusion albums ever made.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2014 at 8:19pm
Like my username status says I'm a newbie but I still enjoy what I've heard from Jazz music Smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2014 at 3:28pm
There is a lot out there. I've been listening to jazz since at least 2005, and I've heard a lot, but there's even much more I haven't heard yet. There's no rush, enjoy what you know, explore when you feel like exploring. I still find classics and favorites even now. And then there's NEW RELEASES!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic