JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chick Corea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

but I must say that I appreciate less the man himself, because his Mormon/scientology (whichever) proselitism has always created tensions with those not wanting to join up when he was trying to entice the person into it...

Eeh, I remember Pablo from PA refusing to listen to Corea altogether because of his [Corea's] beliefs (it's Scientology, not Mormon). Otherwise, I sense no conflict in music, and that's enough for me. I didn't read about tensions with fellow musicians.

Originally posted by js js wrote:

No, I think 'Light as a Feather' is very different.

+1

And I like it much more. In fact, it's my favourite RTF and one of my favourite albums. It's like Mad Hatter. Not a lot of praise, but for me it's totally special.

Edited by Ricochet - 11 May 2011 at 7:19am

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

but I must say that I appreciate less the man himself, because his Mormon/scientology (whichever) proselitism has always created tensions with those not wanting to join up when he was trying to entice the person into it...

Eeh, I remember Pablo from PA refusing to listen to Corea altogether because of his [Corea's] beliefs (it's Scientology, not Mormon). Otherwise, I sense no conflict in music, and that's enough for me. I didn't read about tensions with fellow musicians.

That's a dumb attitude, if you ask me....and I'm an atheist, so god-crazy people are not my thing... But to refuse listening to a man's oeuvre is drastic....It's not like Corea's music ever converted anyone top scientology

However, I'm pretty sure Chick fired Al DiMeaola, because Al wouldn't join up scxientology and he also made pressure on the others as well. Connors (in Hymn always avoided answering why he left so quick RTF, and maybe it was for similar reasons.... Bill connors said that he wanted to concentrate on acoustic guitar, yet his first two albums solo post-RTF are electric guitar..... Sooooooo much for that explanation, uh???LOL
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 3:52pm

What Pablo? Confused

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

No, I think 'Light as a Feather' is very different, much more relaxed, which isn't bad at all, but I prefer the more fiery playing of the first album.

I agree, that's why I prefer Light as a Feather. Wink

However, the s/t is definitely the better album for me, greater compositions and more impressive playing. Light as a Feather tends to repeat itself a bit, but I do prefer its chillness.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

What Pablo? Confused

Err....

Oh wait, is it you?!! (The Quiet One)

Edited by Ricochet - 11 May 2011 at 4:34pm

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 6:01pm

What Pablo? Confused

Err....

Ermm, yes. LOL

I really don't remember ever having said that, if I actually did I was lying because since I entered PA I always liked Corea.  
Not saying you're lying, but I seriously don't remember having said that, since I'm actually not an "active" Catholic anymore and would careless what a guy believed. Maybe I said it as something as out of pure curiosity, or as a joke since I often do that hehe, but still I don't remember. 

Edited by Abraxas - 11 May 2011 at 6:02pm
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 6:10pm
O hai Pablo. Tongue

No idea why I remembered you being the one who said it.

But someone did, in those words, and sounded pretty serious.

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:33pm

O hai Pablo. Tongue

No idea why I remembered you being the one who said it.

But someone did, in those words, and sounded pretty serious.

Hey Rico Wink

Serious? Hmm, that doesn't sound like me, hehe.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 3:05am

What Pablo? Confused

Err....

Ermm, yes. LOL

Ooooooooooopssssssss!!!!!!!!!............ EmbarrassedShockedEmbarrassedShockedEmbarrassedLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 10:57am
Speaking of his music... You prefer more Chick Corea Acoustic or electric?
For you see, I would say that acoustic or electric... I like Korea at the same level!

Edited by 1967/ 1976 - 12 May 2011 at 10:58am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 11:54am
Chick Corea's music is usually pretty awesome electric or acoustic
Freddie Freeloader View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freddie Freeloader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:26pm
Whats everyones opinion of Corea with Bela Fleck? personally I think they make one of the greatest duos of all time!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 2:34pm
Speaking about duo's fresh album, I enjoy their Latin jazz flavor. Bela Fleck added more life to too chamber current Corea's music. Comparing with last years Corea's releases this album is really strong enough, but not of the same level with his best solo works from 70s
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2011 at 8:37pm

[
However, I'm pretty sure Chick fired Al DiMeaola, because Al wouldn't join up scxientology and he also made pressure on the others as well.

look at it this way-  we got Land of the Midnight Sun

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

[
However, I'm pretty sure Chick fired Al DiMeaola, because Al wouldn't join up scxientology and he also made pressure on the others as well.

look at it this way-  we got Land of the Midnight Sun

Only half a point my friendTongueWink

Actually it's a full point, but diminished by the huge derivative ADM playing characteristics on those early solo album

When he was with RTF, ADM sounded like.... ADM

when he went solo, he sounded like Paco, McL and Carlos, but not like ADM
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 2:13pm
Any opinions on 'Orvieto', his latest release?
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 4:44pm
I am really disappointed with this release - not on the Corea's level in all senses.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 5:13pm
I read some good reviews that made me curious (I'm not a big Corea fan, but I like some of his stuff) but I wasn't impressed at all by this album.
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 5:38pm
This album reminds me (not stylistically) one of these Billy Cobham releases he recorded a lot with less known or unknown musicians after he moved to live in Switzerland. There were two series - Nordic (with young then but will be known later Nordic musicians) and other - with local Italian artists, both obviously sounded as possibility for Cobham to make some cash selling his name to unknown band with some ambitions to become popular "playing with Cobham". Almost all recordings sound raw and out of class
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Freddie Freeloader Freddie Freeloader wrote:

Whats everyones opinion of Corea with Bela Fleck? personally I think they make one of the greatest duos of all time!

I haven't heard any of their collaboration yet, but my dad is a big fan of both artists (I like them both to, but Chick moreso).  I thought about picking up the album "The Enchantment" at the store for a Christmas gift, but I couldn't remember if he had it or not.  Regardless, I got him a gift card at the store, and they agreed to put the album aside for him in the event he wants it. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic