JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz Drummer recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 10:35am

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 11:21am
Actually now that I think, I did see a drummer that fits perfectly what I call "heavy drumming". It's Eric McPherson, who I saw last November drumming for Lucian Ban's Elevation Quartet. They play hard-bop or post-bop or something like that. Embarrassed

Here's a video from that concert. First you'll hear how powerful he is when supporting his colleagues, then he remains solo and starts by doing an amazing polyrhythm or whatever it's called, anyway something that I couldn't even tap my hands to, not to speak of drumming to that LOL, and then he goes to show how fast he can go on that rhythm. But his performance overall was exceptionally mindblowing.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:03pm
Thats a great drummer for sure. Without the opening part of the tune it was hard to get a genre, but they were definitely moving to the "outside" sort of thing during the solos.
If you like this guy you might like Elvin Jones, especially some of his work with Coltrane 
One thing though, part of the reason the drums are so loud here is that whatever they are recording with is closer to the drums than the horns, but I bet he is pretty loud and intense either way.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:29pm
They certainly are playing a very contemporary take of the genres they tackle.

It was a very small underground (literally) club so it evertything was just as loud regardless of where you stayed. I'm sure that this kind of small and very enclosed space intensifies the sound and the sonic experience.  But yeah, he blasts them.

I'll look up those albums, thanks!
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

This album

I don't know this but it looks amazing.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 4:43pm
Joe Morello.  He played with Dave Brubeck and his ease in taking on odd time signatures is amazing, especially since that was long before fusion.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 4:13am
Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

Joe Morello.  He played with Dave Brubeck and his ease in taking on odd time signatures is amazing, especially since that was long before fusion.

yup, in a way, you could even say that his contribution make him the great-grandfather of progTongueBig smileLOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 7:05am
One reason of my infatuation with Mina Agossi (besides her singing and her gorgeous looks Embarrassed) is that she likes her jazz heavy on the drums/percussives:

ConnorE View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConnorE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2011 at 8:14pm
Joe Morello
Elvin Jones
Jack Dejohnette
Jimmy Cobb
Philly Jo Jones
Shelly Manne
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa 
Roy Hanes
Kenny Clarke
Chico Hamilton 
Dafnis Prieto
Tony Williams
Max Roach
Bill Stewart
Steve Gadd
Papa Jo Jones
Burnard Purdie
Art Blakey
Brian Blade
Kenny Washington
Louis Belson
Mel Lewis 
Harvey Mason

I'd give you more if I had the energy..
trinidadx13 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trinidadx13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 2:44am
Can't believe no one here has said Dennis Chambers. Cry
Jazz Pianist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazz Pianist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by ConnorE ConnorE wrote:

Joe Morello
Elvin Jones
Jack Dejohnette
Jimmy Cobb
Philly Jo Jones
Shelly Manne
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa 
Roy Hanes
Kenny Clarke
Chico Hamilton 
Dafnis Prieto
Tony Williams
Max Roach
Bill Stewart
Steve Gadd
Papa Jo Jones
Burnard Purdie
Art Blakey
Brian Blade
Kenny Washington
Louis Belson
Mel Lewis 
Harvey Mason

I'd give you more if I had the energy..

You sir, are on it.

Weckl is also amazing, as well as David DiCenso. Check this:

He's a demon in fusion drumming, was the drummer on Hiromi's "Another Mind"

Dick Heath View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Chicapah Chicapah wrote:

yup, in a way, you could even say that his contribution make him the great-grandfather of progTongueBig smileLOL

Long said it: a number of budding prog drummers of the 60's listened and even try to play along to Morello's recordings - Castillian Drums being a challenge on DBQ At Carnegie Hall - so I'll be happy to set the limit at 'one of the goodfathers of prog', especially when he only passed away in the last year.

I'm losing the thread's direction here, but have Alphonse Mouzon and Lenny White, in that school of heavier jazz rock rock drumming that Billy Cobham emplifies, been mentioned? Another powerhouse is Gary Husband - I've sat 6 feet away from his kit in a small audience, when he was playing with  Holdsworth - the deafening was worth it for the experience. And then Jon Hiseman (we have his biography reviewed elsewhere)??????????
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:37pm

Scott, Art Blakey was the man Thumbs Up

Matt
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:51pm
Thanks Matt.  Just read his bio.  He does sound promising, but an overwhelming amount of albums.  I will have to see what I can find on YouTube, or maybe look for a compilation album to get a taste of what he has to offer.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Thanks Matt.  Just read his bio.  He does sound promising, but an overwhelming amount of albums.  I will have to see what I can find on YouTube, or maybe look for a compilation album to get a taste of what he has to offer.
Try and find "Moanin' ", Scott. Always stuck to the beat. love him

Edited by Matt - 25 Jul 2011 at 4:55pm
Matt
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:58pm
OK.  Quick look at my iTunes collection I see I have a version of Moanin' as done by Brian Auger's Hammond Organ Big Band.  I'll have to check it out.  I do see it on You Tube too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 5:20pm
Here is a link with Art .........Lee Morgan is blowin' trumpet

Still don't know how Scott  to put the thing straight up as above as a video Embarrassed I am old that is my defence
Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

This album

I don't know this but it looks amazing.

It is. I don't know if you've tried to get this, but I highly recommend you do Big smile
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 1:19am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is there any jazz with heavy drumming except that Fusion that lies more on the rock side? 

Vital Tech Tones?
danielpgz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danielpgz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 4:05am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is there any jazz with heavy drumming except that Fusion that lies more on the rock side? 

Actually you made me think of Sean Reinert, he is a very good jazz/rock drummer, although his style is also heavily influenced by death metal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic