JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transbluecency

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transbluecency
    Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 3:50pm
Does anyone know where I can find a good recording of 'Transblucency" that Duke Ellington himself participated in? I know there are rarity compilations that include live performances of the song by Duke and his orchestra. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions as to which is their favorite.

Thanks
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 4:31pm
I don't know that one, and I have a decent sized Ellington collection.
In a possibly similar vein. I have a record called "Collages" on which Duke improvises during compositions by the Ron Collier Orchestra. A definite obscurity in the Duke discog.

If I run across a version of Transbluency, I'll let you know.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 4:46pm
I'll check out your recommendation, thank you.

Here is a compilation with transblucency: https://www.discogs.com/Duke-Ellington-And-His-Orchestra-The-Uncollected-Duke-Ellington-And-His-Orchestra-Volume-1-1946/release/5137728

I believe all of those to be from a 1946 live concert
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 5:32pm
Coincidentally enough, I just picked up "The World of Duke Ellington Volume 2" which starts in 1947 and goes to the early 50s.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 9:06pm
Is that a good compilation? In all honesty I only have "live at newport 1956" and the one he did with coltrane. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2016 at 10:53pm
It has some good cuts, the early 50s was a good time for his orchestra with Louie Bellson on drums.

If you start getting into Ellington compilation albums, you'll find there are hundreds of them.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 11:33am
I usually shy away from compilations but of course with pre-LP artists one doesn't have much of a choice. "The World of Duke Ellington" comps seem like the way to go
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2016 at 1:28pm
^ that looks like a decent collection of his 50s stuff, nice selection, lots of songs that don't show up on other comps, but it is re-channeled for stereo, a bad practice during the 70s.

For most jazz artists, the Chronological Classics series is the best. We are missing some of those on this site, but hopefully they will be added soon.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2016 at 10:10am
We have a lot more of his Chronological Classics CDs up on the site now, those are always worth checking out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic