New Santana Album - Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Santana Album - Thoughts?
    Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 7:41am
I'm glad Carlos is mending fences and patching up things with his old pals. I would imagine this project is as much fueled by remorse and a desire to fix personal problems than anything else, and I wish them all well. Some of the resultant music sounds good, and I bet even better live.

I was a very impressionable young teenager when that first Santana album came out. I don't recall what we heard first, the cuts from Woodstock, or the first album, but the impact was phenomenal. This was the most exciting music available at the time. Add to that the mysterious first album cover and the 'exotic' group name and these guys took on almost mythical stature. We were in total awe of this group.

Still to this day, that first album is one of the best jazz-rock albums ever, but it will never have the same impact as it did some 45 years ago.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 3:32am
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

videos don't work for me :(

Sorry, that's my fault I think - I didn't upload them properly, but the links below might work in the meantime? :)

yeh, at least one link is working now 

Now, few months after the album's release, it's easier to speak about the impression: for me Santana and Co tried to re-vitalize their early 70s spirit, and they succeeded speaking about form but it wasn't possible almost half-a -century after to return back Woodstock-era in deep. So - for those with nostalgia to their young days and times when the "grass was greener" Santana's IV is quite nice sentimental memorabilia.
It's hardly possible to evaluate it looking from today's point of view - in all cases I prefer their first three albums, originals or reissues,not sure what for I would need to own fourth,which openly speaking is kind of self-cloned work.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

It's certainly the best thing he's done since the end of the 'classic' period.

It does tap into that mold/style of the early albums as good as a bunch of old guys can. It still suffers from what some of the early releases do to (too much straightforwardness mixed with excellent instrumental bits). And obviously there are ful songs that just miss the mark too.

I"ll probably buy it eventually because it is cheap.

I think you're spot on too about their age making it a bit harder for them to get back to that old sound, but I'm still enjoying it overall for sure. Worth it to hear them having fun I think :)

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 8:28am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Sorry, that's my fault I think - I didn't upload them properly, but the links below might work in the meantime? :)
Reviews...
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 3:32pm
It's certainly the best thing he's done since the end of the 'classic' period.

It does tap into that mold/style of the early albums as good as a bunch of old guys can. It still suffers from what some of the early releases do to (too much straightforwardness mixed with excellent instrumental bits). And obviously there are ful songs that just miss the mark too.

I"ll probably buy it eventually because it is cheap.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:17am
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 5:44am
^ agreed!  And it seems like they were happy enough to play together again, there was a short 'making of'-kinda clip I saw a while back where every seemed pretty happy (certainly for the cameras at least, but I then, doubt they'd have gotten through the album at all if they weren't having some fun at least :D)

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3vHslfio7A

Echizo has that classic feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdX-MKXI8oY

Edited by dreadpirateroberts - 27 May 2016 at 5:46am
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 3:01am
Looks like Carlos is trying to pick up after the early 70s Santanna III and mend the somewhat acrimonious breakup with Greg Rollie and Neal Schon.
Some of the psychedelic fusion on here is not too bad, Neal and Carlos give it their best, but a lot of the rock songs and pop songs are not that inspired.

Its great that Gregg is writing and singing on Santanna albums again, although his singing is actually stronger now, I don't recognize his voice anymore, some easily recognizable quality seems to have left him.

Santanna in the early 70s was just about the hottest jazz rock band around, so it really is hard to go back, it would be very hard to catch that fire again, but I can't blame them for trying.
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 8:39pm
A little while ago I finished a review of the latest Santana:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/review/santana-iv/252440

And (in brief here) it's got a fair few interesting moments. I do think they could have cut the album by four or even five songs, but it's still good. Got some fun stuff on it and some great instrumental pieces too but the weight of expectations probably holds it back from being outstanding.

Anyone else had much of a listen to it?
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic