JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Parker/Gillespie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parker/Gillespie
    Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 11:44am
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to where one should start with Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker. Almost all the jazz I listen to is hard bop or fusion and I wanted to diversify a little. I like to listen to albums (as opposed to singles or compilations) so if anyone has any favorite Parker or Gillespie albums I'd be very grateful to check them out.

If full length albums weren't popular at this time, I wouldn't mind a good compilation either.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2016 at 5:01pm
Hey, glad you came back, I really liked your reviews, drop off some more if you want.
I think the earliest Bird and Diz recordings are the best, and I'm still looking for the best ones.

This is a good one, I have a review up for it too.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 2:04pm
Oh thanks! That seems like a good place to start, I appreciate it.

I'll try to write some more reviews, then!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 2:10pm
Some people really like this all-star concert that came later in their career, the playing is really good, but I miss the crazy abandon of the early be-bop.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic