JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chico Hamilton "The Dealer"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chico Hamilton "The Dealer"
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 6:47pm

There is also Les McCann's "invitation to Openess", very different from his other albums.

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/les-mccann/invitation-to-openness
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:40pm
Thanks very much!!

I'll have to start looking around for those.

Haven't heard any later Cannonball albums, but that definitely looks good. Not sure if you've heard the 2014 album of the same title by the R&B artist D'Angelo but I'd suspect there was a connection of some sort

thanks again!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:23pm
Chico was playing "fusion" half a decade before "Bitches Brew". Here are some more Chico albums somewhat similar to "The Dealer":
"Chic Chic Chico"
"El Chico"
"El Exigente" - The Demanding One"

Also you may want to check Gabo Szabor 
... and this album by the Adderly Brothers, "Black Messiah":

Edited by js - 22 Jan 2016 at 4:37pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 4:05pm
Chico Hamilton is excellent and a very underarted artist, let me check around and see if I can get some album recommendations that match your album and I'll get back to you.
liontime View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liontime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 3:32pm
Hello!

I've been listening to Chico Hamilton's The Dealer a lot recently and I was wondering if anyone knew any albums in Hamilton's discography that were similar to it? I'd also be interested in albums made by other artists that have that sort of sound. Anything would be appreciated!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic