Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mysteries of the "Miss Beatnik Contest" photo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mysteries of the "Miss Beatnik Contest" photo
    Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 1:16pm
One of the more iconic photos of 'beat' culture. 
Anytime this photo is posted, people always wonder, 'who are these women', and 'where are they now', etc.
It is a photo that always sparks curiosity.
Lately, I did a little searching on the internet and actually found one of these women. Hopefully she will be willing to join this thread and let us know what its all about. Wink

The women pictured, starting from the left, are Michi Monteef, Sammy McCord, Patti McCrory and Shaunna Lea. In the back is Jan Vandaveer.

Edited by js - 29 Sep 2015 at 9:48pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 9:12pm
Looks like Patti McCrory has joined the site, so my first question will be:
Are you still in touch with any of the other women in the photo?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 5:22pm
It appears Patti McCrory is having some computer problems, hopefully that will be sorted out soon and we can resume with some interesting conversation.
Stay tuned. Wink
patti.mccrory View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patti.mccrory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 1:59pm
No.  I saw a few of them in Vegas around 1963 while visiting Gerry McGee (Ventures) in Lounge show.  He is also from Louisiana & we keep in touch.  They were visiting, & I lived there (Minsky's Follies).
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patti.mccrory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:00pm
everything A-Okay now.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:06pm
So glad you finally made it, I have to head to work in a bit, but I'll try to get in a few questions.

I'm going to assume that the Miss Beatnik contest was a bit of a spoof, not entirely serious of course, but all the same, was there ever actually a winner to the contest?
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patti.mccrory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:11am
I honestly don't remember how the contest came about, but I gave them what they wanted, & appeared on several TV shows, including PAUL COATES CONFIDENTIAL.  We became friends, & he gave me loads of good advice, saying I was an excellent actress, but would never be able to stand up under the control of the movie industry of the 50's....who to date, what to wear, even who to marry...not including a phony background bio & complete change of hair, etc.  He wrote some very good articles about me (against his nature)  in the L.A. Times (or Sun.).  L. A. only had one newspaper that I know of at that time.  My plate was full, working in a Coffee Shop on the beach, protesting at the prison for Carrell Chessman via Steve Allen.  That's another story.   Somewhere in there, I ended up with a contract at the 20th Century Fox New Talent/Acting Class (which was a joke).  I had several aliases, Patti Kelly, Patti Lewis, Patti Butcher, & Kelly Lewis.  My daughter found a site regarding my so-called Beatnik life under the name of Patti Butcher.  As far as Sammy goes (everyone loved Sammy), I don't know where she is.  She was a soft spoken Texan, & very sexy.  When we all moved to Laurel Canyon to the log house, we all "modeled" to make a go of it.  There are about 20 stories in between this whole reply....am trying to keep my thoughts straight.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:33am
Wow, a lot to digest there.
While doing my research on this, I saw the name Patti Butcher several times, there are some old LA Times articles I've seen, I'll try to bring some things I found to this thread, plenty more to come.

Speaking of Sammy, you and I had an interesting exchange about you and her via email, there was nothing personal there, but if you don't mind, I'd like to post our email conversation about her.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:44am
Basically I asked you if Sammy was Joyce McCord, mother of actresses Dana Barron and Allison Barron, and this was your answer:

"I doubt Sammy is Joyce....but who knows?!  We all rented a log house in Laurel Canyon.  We did centerfolds, etc. (to pay for acting, fencing lessons).   I saw Sammy in Vegas where I was living in the early 60's, and then looked her up when I was visiting Laurel canyon.  Some band was living there. "

Edited by js - 23 Oct 2015 at 10:46am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:51am
What gave me the idea that she was Joyce was this old article, clink on the link and scroll down and you will see a picture of Sammy where they also call her Joyce.

Edited by js - 23 Oct 2015 at 11:11am
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patti.mccrory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 5:27pm
Yes you are correct.  This is definitely Joyce....remember calling her that now.  The guy in the pic did some shots with me.  I believe I used the name "Patti Butcher" at that session, but can't remember the magazine.  Did she remain in California & have 2 daughters that are actresses? 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 7:08pm
Possibly so, I'm going to dig up a film clip for you to check that might tell us more.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 7:20pm
Supposedly this Joyce McCord acted in one movie, Russ Myers' "Wild Gals of the Naked West".

Check this clip at the 25 second mark and tell me if that is Sammy or not, I can't tell, but it sure looks like her.
The link isn't a live link, you have to do a copy and paste with the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KSsYaHgew

Edited by js - 26 Oct 2015 at 7:22pm
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patti.mccrory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 11:04am
I'm still computer illiterate..do not cut & paste, etc.  I even went to the youtube site & pulled up the site# to no avail.  I then scrolled through every video....searching.   There has to be a better way.  Can you just e-mail the video to me?  It sounds like something Joyce (Sammie) would appear in, if it was a none-speaking part.  We all had thick southern accents, but I managed to hide mine.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:09pm
Ha ha, when I moved to California from the south back in the 80s, the first thing I did was get rid of my accent, I got tired of people making fun of it, ha.

Let me find a better way for you to see this movie clip and I will get back to you in a few minutes.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:22pm

Edited by js - 27 Oct 2015 at 2:27pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 2:26pm

Thanks, Slava. 
Just click on the link and look for Sammy at the 25 second mark, maybe that is her.

Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Edited by js - 27 Oct 2015 at 2:29pm
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patti.mccrory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:46am
Yep!  Didn't catch the date, but she hasn't changed at all....all 3 of her.  (LOL)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:53am
Ha ha, I thought that was her. Its looking like Joyce McCord is most likely Sammy.
Let me see what else I can find about her to show you. 

In the meantime,  ... at first I thought the name Michi Monteef was made up. I couldn't find anything about her, until I found a woman named Michelle Monteef who got married in California, somewhere a bit further up the coast I think, in the early 60s, possibly her?

Edited by js - 28 Oct 2015 at 9:27pm
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patti.mccrory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 1:26pm
Was she the blonde?  didn't know her.  We left her behind when we moved to Laurel Canyon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic