JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazz on Vinyl /Blu Ray Audio?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazz on Vinyl /Blu Ray Audio?
    Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:58am
I have yet to see new jazz releases on Vinyl/ Blu Ray Audio. There are a few classics on Blu Ray and too many to  re releases  to count on vinyl.

I have two questions:

Why do jazz artists only release their records on CD?  Marcus Miller? Kyle Eastwood? ....
But then there us Robert Glasper and Cassandra Wilson's new records which are two of the best sounding new vinyl I have purchased in 2015.

I was hopeful that Blu Ray Audio would attract more artists but is not the case. Take Steven Wilson. He moved his 5.1 DVD A to Blu Ray a couple of years ago and also release vinyl at the same time.

Classical releases have embraced Blu Ray Audio.

I got the new 4.0 SACD of "Birds of Fire." Words cannot express how amazing this recording sounds.
Billy Cobham is all over the place as well as Jan Hammer.

So... 

CD's is the jazz format of choice?

PW

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 11:10am
Change comes slowly, and is usually governed by economics.
I would imagine those mentioned artists will switch formats when their management deems it profitable to do so, which only makes sense as those artists are trying to make a living here.

I noticed a local record store recently switched from CD re-issues to vinyl re-issues. It seems to me that they sold off as many of the CDs as they could before they switched back to vinyl for their re-issues.

I like the vinyl re-issues and grabbed some classic Monk records, something I never thought I would own on vinyl, but I can tell that the change was goverened much by economics, the price of the vinyl re-issues is quadruple the CDs. Wink
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:06pm
The main reason why CDs are most popular format is their price - I mean price to produce and price at shops. To produce one CD (for edition of at least 500 pcs) costs around 2-3 USD, plus let say one or two more for case and printed inlay,depending on quality,etc.  Such CD is selling as rule at 15-20 or 30 USD in retail. To produce one vinyl album costs much more (and there are only a few producers still doing it). The retail price of new vinyl album is usually two or even three times higher than of same CD, so there as rule are much fewer buyers (and far not everyone owns vinyl player nowadays).

I have a friend running a jazz label, they release new albums on CDs and some on vinyl as well. Once I asked him why they still produce some music on vinyl, it's obvious that to sell it is much harder. He answered very simply and straight: "Freaks like vinyl" (he is a jazz fan for almost forty years).

The other reason why vinyl production is growing (even if CDs still absolutely dominate on market) is that it's very easy to rip CD and not so easy - to rip vinyl. The internet is full of illegal CDs rips and there are only a few vinyl rips (what means you can find almost any new CDs illegal rip at the day of release but if you want to have something what is released solely on vinyl, you must BUY it)

Edited by snobb - 03 Sep 2015 at 12:38pm
Peaceful World 33/3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

The main reason why CDs are most popular format is their price - I mean price to produce and price at shops. To produce one CD (for edition of at least 500 pcs) costs around 2-3 USD, plus let say one or two more for case and printed inlay,depending on quality,etc.  Such CD is selling as rule at 15-20 or 30 USD in retail. To produce one vinyl album costs much more (and there are only a few producers still doing it). The retail price of new vinyl album is usually two or even three times higher than of same CD, so there as rule are much fewer buyers (and far not everyone owns vinyl player nowadays).

I am sure production costs are a factor for a lot of jazz artists. It seems their gigs are often two shows a night to make ends meet and their money is in touring. Almost all rock bands(new) release vinyl/MP3 downloads first then CD's. Barnes and Noble are selling rows of vinyl. Jazz ia ll re issue. With that it is buyer beware as all re issues are not created equal. I prefer the original M 1st/2nd pressing at the same price.

I buy vinyl 90% CD 10%. I have found that jazz productions of CD's is far better that rock IMO. 
Case in point, "Stanley Clarke Band."  As far as people to produce records, there are people like Marcus, Don Was  and lots of old schoolers...

How about Blu Ray? Are they missing the format?

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 1:10am
don't use Blu Ray but for me it looks like another dead end

as with some other new generation high quality sound/video standards, it came as revolution,but the revolution never happened in real

I expect the problem is same as with other new formats - it requires new player to play recordings (what means you must buy it), fans usually have their collections in vinyl or trad CDs (what means you must still have vinyl player plus regular CD-player) and there is only limited choice of music released on blue ray format (ok, it's growing,but anyway it means you still will purchase lot of traditional CDs as well). plus Blue Ray releases are costly   - all together looks like Blue Ray future sounds similar to Quadrophonic sound revolution of 70s which just disappeared very soon without leaving even traces.

For me more successful trend in audiophile sound is Japanese SACD technology - this format fits to be played on regular CD players, but if you have SACD player you get advanced sound. There are huge catalog of SACD albums (mostly re-releases and it grows very fast)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 6:26am
I own an old quadraphonic system Wink ... as well as several other systems. The quad system is fun, you can set it on simulated quad and play any album or CD you want in surround sound. Of course, now there is that whole 5.1 thing which has taken away the uniqueness of having an old quad system.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 7:39am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

don't use Blu Ray but for me it looks like another dead end

I expect the problem is same as with other new formats - it requires new player to play recordings (what means you must buy it), fans usually have their collections in vinyl or trad CDs (what means you must still have vinyl player plus regular CD-player) and there is only limited choice of music released on blue ray format (ok, it's growing,but anyway it means you still will purchase lot of traditional CDs as well). plus Blue Ray releases are costly   - all together looks like Blue Ray future sounds similar to Quadrophonic sound revolution of 70s which just disappeared very soon without leaving even traces.

For me more successful trend in audiophile sound is Japanese SACD technology - this format fits to be played on regular CD players, but if you have SACD player you get advanced sound. There are huge catalog of SACD albums (mostly re-releases and it grows very fast)

My hopes with Blu Ray is New Releases rather than re releases.  Blu Ray players are under $100 and have almost replaced the DVD player. Audiophiles or those with an ear for higher quality probably have a player that plays all formats, such as SACD, etc.

There are now those quad recordings being released as 4.0 that can be played on SACD players (not CD). It too will be short lived after they run out of recordings,

Vinyl is here to stay.  I know many people who are all vinyl and selling their CD collections, cheap on the Bay.  As I said before, jazz have kept compact discs as their format of choice.  (many reasons).

Still I look each time a new record is released for a vinyl release too.  Consumer prices are high at $29-39. But most new releases not on 180gram or colored, etc. are $15--18. The cost of CD's can be the same at local record/CD stores. 

Would like to learn more from the artists/producers on the format choice .  I have a Lector tube CD player that warms a CD . The only new CD's I buy... jazz.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 7:46am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Change comes slowly, and is usually governed by economics.
I would imagine those mentioned artists will switch formats when their management deems it profitable to do so, which only makes sense as those artists are trying to make a living here.
...the change was governed much by economics, the price of the vinyl re-issues is quadruple the CDs. Wink

I tend to be selective on the reissue buying as they go overboard to make it look like  the price is justified. Limited Edition, 200 gram, from original masters, etc. Then there are the rip offs from countries like Spain where a lot of copyrights have expired and the so called masters are from a clean CD.

I agree, change is slow and economics will govern. Now that the music suits have seen people will pay $40 for a copy of "Kind of Blue." the pricing will stay high.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2015 at 8:57am
A few years back, I bought a Funkadelic 180 gram re-issue, only to find out later that the master tapes were lost long ago, and the disc was copied from an LP in good shape. The recording is okay, but there is a very loud repeating pop during a long quiet part. Its built into the recording. Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic