JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Jazz Must Have?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Jazz Must Have?
    Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:32am
I am in the process of getting music by newer jazz artists and could use some suggestions. New to me so far: Robert Glasper " Black Radio 2",Kendrick Lammar "To Pimp a Butterfly" , Jason Moran...
Thanks- 

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:18am
I know Robert Glasper and Jason Moran music (saw them both playing live as well) and I generally like them. Glasper "Black Radio 2" is quite different from his earlier works and together with your mentioned "To Pimp A butterfly" is more jazzy r'n'b than true jazz.

Some good album in similar style has Esperanza Spalding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrKTFNnQSo

Jason Moran is a bit different, post-bop rooted and groovy. First what comes in mind is probably Jacky Terrasson, just he's more "European" (less groovy and more chamber)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPx_ZwiiapQ

Edited by snobb - 09 Jun 2015 at 8:38am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:33am
Some of this new jazz influenced modern RnB is some of the more interesting and creative music happening today. Robert Glasper and Esperanza Spaulding are great, also check out the new album by Jeff "Tain" Watts, a real tour de force with artsy RnB and modern fusion and more.
Peaceful World 33/3 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:17am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Some of this new jazz influenced modern RnB is some of the more interesting and creative music happening today. Robert Glasper and Esperanza Spaulding are great, also check out the new album by Jeff "Tain" Watts, a real tour de force with artsy RnB and modern fusion and more.
 I am reading a lot on Miles, just finished his own biography. There is no doubt in my mind he would be in the new jazz influenced modern R&B. I have a library of  50-70's and the so-called jazz fusion. But I collect NEWER on CD mostly.  Thanks for the suggestions folks!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:26am
In a lot of ways, Davis' "Amandla" album pointed the way to a lot of what is happening today, only we don't use those cheezy digital synths anymore.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:28am
He references Prince quite often, in text and TV interviews which always makes me think what if?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:46am
They were supposed to do an album together, Prince had too many obligations and he was replaced by Marcus Miller, the resultant album was "Tutu".

If you search around, you can find a video of Miles jamming with Prince's band live.

Speaking of Prince, his later music got into all kinds of creative jazz influence, check out the album "N.E.W.S. Around the World" for his take on fusion.

Back to Miles, his best Prince influenced music goes down on "Around the World", which is a live set, much better than his studio albums at the time.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 10:37am
I have his new studio recording, nothing live. I have been following where Stevie Wonder has been showing up given his love of jazz and R&B, the "Bush" Snoop Dogg is a nice record.  If one listens with some effort at genres no usually associated with "jazz" there are some real treasures...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 11:25am
Yeah, I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan, but I must admit, I haven't been keeping up with his new music.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peaceful World 33/3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 11:54am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Yeah, I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan, but I must admit, I haven't been keeping up with his new music.
He has no new music other than guest spots some known and others incognito. He is touring doing all of "Songs in the Key of Life" which may be his biggest nod to jazz. Sir Duke is obvious...

I am checking out Esperanza Spaulding and have added a few titles to my CD shopping list along with Kenny Wheeler, Jeff "Tain" Watts and Antonio Sanchez. 

Still looking for artistes I do not know, always a big rush!

Edited by Peaceful World 33/3 - 09 Jun 2015 at 11:55am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 12:15pm
Some weeks ago I watched the movie "Birdman" with Antonio Sanchez music (actually, he is a drummer in a film as well playing himself) - in cinema full 5.1. sound his music sounded very interesting
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 9:23am
if you would like to try something more peppered and unorthodox in the same key as above, check Neneh Cherry (Don Cherry's step-daughter) and The Thing collaborative album "The Cherry Thing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNLFFIZB0Qs

sound sample:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/mp3/the-thing/2454

Edited by snobb - 10 Jun 2015 at 9:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic