JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Movies about Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hombre777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Movies about Jazz
    Posted: 03 Jun 2015 at 10:33pm
Hi ,

Im lookig for a Movies about Jazz ...

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 5:56am
Movies about the history of jazz, or movies that are based around a jazz theme?

If its the first, there is Ken Burns' video series on jazz, its fairly good historically, some don't care for some unnecessary opinions.

If its the latter, most people like "Round Midnight", which stars Dexter Gordon as a recovering junkie sax player from the states, living in Paris. Its a drama based on several real musicians.

Edited by js - 04 Jun 2015 at 5:58am
hombre777 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hombre777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 8:52am
Thanks ! Ken Burns' video series on jazz is very good !
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 12:02pm
Here is some good titles I could of remember:
1) "Born to be Blue" - Chet Baker is a total legend in the jazz world, and this one is all about him 
2) "Sweet and Lowdown" - really fantastic movie about Woody Allen
3) "The Cotton Club" - a gangster style movie but the music is what makes this film is so epic...
And maybe also the "Bird", will go nicely in this list, but that's obviously one of the best fin my opinion

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 6:37pm
There's always Spike Lee's "Mo Better Blues" about a pro jazz musician, but that wasn't one of his better movies.
peter_w View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter_w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2019 at 4:24am
Just passing by. 
Of course, I haven't seen them all, but too many of the "jazz movies" I've seen were either documentaries or portrayals of the jazz artists' addictions to alcohol or drugs, than they were the music and/or the business of jazz.
But here's a small list of my favorites: 

- Lady sings the blues
- Dexter
- Young man with a horn
- The Man with a Golden Arm

And also Bird that Frederic mentioned. I loved it, because it was superbly acted and directed, also it was directed by a real jazz fanatic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic