JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cover tune

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cover tune
    Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 11:48pm
Of course, there might be a flavor that the original is made only a counterplan at that time. However, there might be a part where cover tune often done is liked more than original.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 11:57pm
It is said that Narada Michael Walden can never do such a performance.

Version by Jimmy Herring that was able to be improved.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 7:27am
Szabo's re-make of Summer Breeze is a huge improvement. I like these semi-exotic covers of pop tunes, I collect them on vinyl.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:00am
I am crazy about the genre of "Exotica" especially recently. It was done because of review of Don Ellis and Les Baxter that John had submitted. It was interested in it very much for me. I felt that it had to be well versed for Exotica since then. I try to learn the music of Gabor Szabo now. Of course, I will learn the music of Don Ellis in the future. Thumbs Up Postscript I saw CD of Don Ellis have been sold with Tower Records of Japan the other day. The price was 26 dollars. Shocked
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 8:27am
A lot of Don Ellis has not been re-issued on CD. I find his records in used record stores for about 7 to 10 dollars. Some of his music is serious, some of it is kitsch and sometimes he kind of mixes the two. He got a lot of criticism in the jazz world for his innovations. It will take people from outside the jazz world to rescue his legacy. This is what happened with Miles Davis' mid-70s music. It took non-jazz fans to see the value in all his psychedelic rock records. The jazz critics were ready to throw all that music on the trash heap.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:38am
Thank you for the comment and the commentary. This is very effective for me. I will refer to review that John submitted and the album.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:02pm
EW&F

John Tropea
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:05pm
Cover? Plagiarism?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:34pm
You never know, somebody might have heard something they liked and decided to use it.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:42pm
Yes. I do not know the details.
I thought that the melody looked like a little.

-------

Thank you for immediately adding Tropea.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 08 Feb 2011 at 9:48pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:15pm
His career has a lot of variety, do you think Pop Jazz is the best place for him to start?
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:32pm

Yes. I own only one album of Tropea. And, I know his work to be abundant as the music character.

Therefore, he thinks that it is the most appropriate to start from Pop Jazz/Crossover.

The selection of the genre is OK.

Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 10:57pm
We wish to express our gratitude for the addition of Jimmy Herring.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 11:22pm
EW&F

Urban Knights (Ramsey Lewis, Grover Washington, Jr., Omar Hakim, Victor Bailey)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 11:34pm
I think Kazuhiro is a EW&F fan  Wink  
I saw them live in the mid-70s when they were at their peak. The same tour that provided the material for the 'Gratitude' album. They toured with Ramsey Lewis who was playing progressive electronic African fusion, and EW&F members would join him for some songs. excellent concert.
Later in their career they became a pop band of course.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 11:41pm
WowBig smile
Thank you for a valuable comment.
John does a very good experience.
Such live and Japan's information are little.

-------

"Wanna Be With You" was a tune that had been announced in 1981.
At that time, I was 11 years old. LOL

-------

Thank you for the addition of Urban Knights.

Edited by Kazuhiro - 09 Feb 2011 at 11:49pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by EZ Money EZ Money wrote:

I think Kazuhiro is a EW&F fan  Wink  

Please delete it if disgusted.  LOL

Edited by Kazuhiro - 09 Feb 2011 at 11:59pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 11:51pm
Weather Report

Karizma (David Garfield, Vinnie Colaiuta,  Michael Landau, Neil Stubenhaus)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:03am
The Weather Report version is far better, but I'll add Karizma to the site anyway. Wink
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:07am
Yes. I also always love WR version.Smile And, we wish to express our gratitude for the addition of Karizma.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic