JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

British Jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:25pm
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:28pm
Yes. He's British. In an interview he has said that before starting love jazz he was listening to heavy metal. Also, I agree with David that Jamie Cullum is not really of my taste. Maybe because his compositions have a poppier side.

Edited by Prog Geo - 25 Apr 2011 at 6:29pm
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

http://www.johnetheridge.com/zappa/index.htm

And there is this to Thumbs Up

Nice! Someday I will listen to it .
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 6:34pm

http://www.johnetheridge.com/zappa/index.htm

And there is this to Thumbs Up

Oh yes! I've never heard Zappatistas, but I've always been fan of Etheridge's guitar style, his outstanding performance on British Tour '75 by Soft Machine is a must.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:17pm
Phil Miller's In Cahoots, particularly album All That

..and I disagree that rock's main artists come from outside the U.S.   America invented, perfected and continues to produce the best rock bands in the world.  I'm not talkin' pop-rock or metal or any other variation, but the best, the most authentic rock 'n roll in all its ugly glory, came and continues to come from North America.

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 11:33pm
John Surman is one of my favourites
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 1:52am

Biggest Name in British Jazz at the Moment i guess would be  Jamie Cullum  not really my cup of tea but then again cant say i have heard much of his music .

Jamie Cullum is in British scene similar to Kenny G. in American, so - it's just more question of tasteLOL.

Speaking about more modern British jazz (or related)  two names could be mentioned  - Led Bib and TrioVD.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 2:18am
I already said Led Bib
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 3:23am

Originally posted by The Manticore The Manticore wrote:

Then there is always Pentangle

Good call Folk/Jazz at its very Best

yup, Danny  Thompson is simply an awesome Contrabass player... He almost singlehandedly gives the jazz edge in Pentangle
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 5:43am
I know Rico loves Keith Tippett's albums, but I'll let him talk about them as I haven't heard any. 
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:21am
Not including bands from  Canterbury, Jazz-Fusion or Prog cuts off quite a lot of the bands I heard and like (of which Soft Machine and Colosseum would be the most impressive).

Yes, I do think Tippett's first two albums are very good. It gets very weird from there on, even for free-jazz standards. I've kept some other albums in my collection (Mujician, something with Louis Moholo, the very heavy sessions of A Loose Kite in a Gentle Wind Floating with Only My Will for an Anchor, ending with a piece dedicated to Mingus...), but I'm not too impressed. His piano improvisations turn profoundly shardy.

Elton Dean (Ninesense) should follow soon.
I will also approach Evan Parker's discography sooner or later.

Nationality aside, McLaughlin and British jazz do not compute for me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:23am
Julie Tippets-Driscoll's two album Sunset Glow and 1969 are astounding as well.
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 9:54am
Phronesis are considered at least part British
Neil Cowley is also British, I liked his 2010 album
Andy Shepperd's Movements In Colour  is also very good
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 7:49am
Come on guys so far not one mention of Victor Feldman.  A musician's musician from England.  He worked with everybody from Miles to Zappa. Checkout this Youtube from 1965 (note the bass player, soon to be original Mahavishnu Orchestra member Rick Laird)

Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:58pm
^Wow, that's RICK LAIRD! Thanks for the video, pretty tastey. I did know of Victor though by Seven Steps of Heaven, great record.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:39pm
If you like freer stuff in the vain of Coleman and Dolphy check out Joe Harriott (originally born in Jamaica). I can only vouche for his album Abstract (the other tracks I've heard have not struck me as special)   

Prick to find so blogs might be the best option (unfortunately couldn't find anything on youtube for this album)
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 9:57pm
Shirley Bassey   Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 7:45am
One name I havent't seen so far...

Graham Collier is amost as good as Ian Carr and his late 60's and early 7's albums are tremendous

Also worth mentionning: Harry Beckett

They're  not in the database eitherConfused

------------------------

ditto for sangstress Annette Peacock >> not in the database...Confused

Edited by Sean Trane - 08 May 2011 at 4:00pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 5:16pm
I've suggested Don Rendell (who played much with Ian Carr before the latter formed Nucleus

And also Neil ardley as well. (roughly the same crowd)
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2011 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I've suggested Don Rendell (who played much with Ian Carr before the latter formed Nucleus

And also Neil ardley as well. (roughly the same crowd)

Interesting. I'll listen more to those artists. Nucleus are nice!

Edited by Prog Geo - 04 Jun 2011 at 5:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic