JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ERNEST HOGAN - ragtime

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ERNEST HOGAN - ragtime
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:40pm
Finding out about ENEST HOGAN as the first true creator of ragtime leads me to ask you all a serious question about the limitations of this site. It seems that although HOGAN was indeed the first to publish rags in the 1800s, he unfortunately was before the days of recording technology. 

What is this site's policy towards artist's like this who were innovators in the history of the roots of jazz but never really were able to record their music. The name of this site is Jazz Music Archives and i would think that a page dedicated to HOGAN would be in the best interest of the site for completeness or is it only possible to add an artist who has released an album?

Since early jazz was on the cusp of recording technology i think it would be cool to at least have a biography for those who were influential but didn't get to record anything.

What say youz?

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 1:18am
Unfortunately our hands are tied on this. I would love to include artists who did not record, but there is no way to add them the way the site is set up, and I doubt that will ever change, so great artists such as John Gilmore do not get added
Part of the problem with this site is that it is copied from a rock site based on 70s album culture. The album didn't even exist until after some of jazz's greatest music was already recorded. In our older jazz sections, compilations become the main feature, not the original singles.
The only person who could change this site's album orientation is the owner, and he probably doesn't want to deal with it, so we remain with a 70s album type format geared toward 70s rock music.
A hard lesson to learn in life, we don't always get exactly what we want.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:16am
Is it possible to add an artist with just singles? Maybe it could be done by creating a page and adding the published singles even though they were only sold as sheet music. Just seems a shame that the site has to be limited to the format that was created for PA when jazz has a longer history before, during and after the actually recording process. If nothing else i guess it's time for someone to make an album for Hogan, Gilmore and the gazillions others who have fallen in the cracks of time. Otherwise how about just adding one dummy album and stating in the bio that the album doesn't exist and only serves the purpose of allowing the page to exist due to site constraints. Just a few ideas. Understand if they don't go anywhere Clown

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:22am
We can add artists with singles alone, we have quite a few in the older jazz genres. Unfortunately, artist pages don't display the singles unless you click on 'singles', something that might not be obvious to a casual visitor. Another aspect of our album oriented format.
Any person can add any singles that may be missing, meanwhile, I'll look into an angle for adding Hogan. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:23am
Also i see the Scott Joplin Elite Syncapations album i just reviewed says 1974 here. It says 1987 on my CD and pretty much every other source i can find on the web
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:33am
I would guess that 74 is the original LP release, and 87 is the CD re-issue release, most commercial and downright lazy sources only list the CD re-issue.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:37am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Also i see the Scott Joplin Elite Syncapations album i just reviewed says 1974 here. It says 1987 on my CD and pretty much every other source i can find on the web

yeh, we always state the date of first release as album's release date (at least when it's possible to find it)

in case of Joplin's compilation, it was vinyl LP of 1974 later re-issued on CD

http://www.discogs.com/Scott-Joplin-Elite-Syncopations/release/2525718
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 9:48pm
This one is frustrating. Every single site that has this mentioned has a different year. It's my pet peeave when albums don't have a date but even more so when a re-release doesn't specify the original release date. It seems the album on Discogs actually has a different song order and four less songs than the CD i have. My CD says 1987 with no indication that it was released on vinyl earlier. Guess 1974 is logical since Biograph released other Joplin projects around then :) Gotta change my review i guess!
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 12:48am
In jazz, CD reissues very often contain bonuses. Since physical vinyl album's space is only up to 50 min (for more modern vinyl releases, for older - really shorter) and CD physical space is 80 min, it's quite usual that re-releasing vinyl album in CD format labels try to use free empty space for making  reissue more attractive. Tracks order differs from original too quite often, one reason is when CD contains more previously unissued tracks from same session as on original vinyl, it's popular to place them in original order (as they were recorded, especially on live albums). The other reason of changing tracks order on later reissues is this trick (in combination with added bonuses) makes each reissue more different from original what means it has more chances to be sold as "new" album.

In all cases, there are at least two responsible sources if you want to find out what is the date of original (first) release  - check the info on discogs.com and rate your music(RYM). Never trust allmusic.com and even less - amazon and similar commercial sites.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 7:36am
Actually i have found many errors in RYM. On this one they list 1987. They seem to be sloppiest in the jazz department but also in others. Overall they are pretty good and when i see a mistake i alert them but it takes weeks or months for them to respond
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:16am
I check as rule both discogs(first) and RYM (second), in case if them both show same data it usually means that it's 90% reliable.

discogs are more reliable as rule, but they are not all that complete, so sometimes you can find on RYM what isn't presented on discogs and v v.

surprisingly enough, allmusic are most complete of all three (and speaking universally in many cases most complete at all), the problem with them is AM don't care much about original releases, they regularly add reissues as first original releases (using reissue alternate cover art, reissue release date and reissue track list(often with bonuses) instead of original one) without even mention it. And at the same time in some cases they mix it with true original albums data, as a result they are great source when you need to find maximum possible releases for one or another artist, but in all musicological data they are real mess.

In all, combination of three, plus specialized sites for some artists give quite reliable info. One more way to check how good is your data is just searching the album on ebay sales: some sellers are great enough adding full hi-res cover art (incl. back side) where you can find original data right from original source. This way is good for some extremely rare releases if there are no data on discogs or RYM at all.

quite time-consuming work though
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:59am
Ernest Hogan added as well
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 11:12pm
A dizzifying explanation! You are an admirable researcher with sights only on the highest quality Clap
Thanks for adding!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic