Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are You Listening II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 45>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 9:16pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

That's nice John. Clap I grew up hearing Johnny Cash. 
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 3:20pm
Tell The Devil Im Gettin There As Fast As I Can
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 3:51pm
My teen years were in semi-rural East Texas.  Wink
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 4:14pm

My teen years were in semi-rural East Texas.  Wink
  Sure you would of heard Johnny there. LOL Ray above has been put on pause whilst I was checking out the New Jazz Albums thread. Really good John. Heaps of great stuff and samples.  Ai Kuwabara is really nice and spacey, that Brad Mehldau sounds quite a good one, also had a listen to Yelena Eckemoff's newie ( have a few of hers already here) and a couple of others artists as well. Great thread.

Edited by Matt - 02 Sep 2018 at 4:19pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 4:39pm
Thanks, we have more threads which cover RnB, jazz-rock, nu jazz etc. These are the threads that bring us the visitors.
By the way, did you see the recent thread where the guy was looking for help identifying a song?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 5:05pm

Thanks, we have more threads which cover RnB, jazz-rock, nu jazz etc. These are the threads that bring us the visitors.
By the way, did you see the recent thread where the guy was looking for help identifying a song?
I can't place that song but I will have a look at it tomorrow a bit more. May track it down 
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 4:09pm
The Complete Hot Five &amp; Hot Seven Recordings

Mr Jelly Lord

Bit of a refesher this morning Smile
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 4:27pm
Marc Ribot makes it

Edited by Matt - 03 Sep 2018 at 4:29pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 6:02pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

^ I don't know that album, but Mary Halvorson has been a person of interest lately, love the way she can get deep into jazz guitar ala Jim Hall or Wes Montgomery, and then switch up and go NYC avant-pop like Sonic Youth.
It's the only one of hers I have John, it is great for the last edition for Zorn's "Book Of Angels" which is why I bought it as I have about 75% of that series from him and yes she is one hell'va guitarist. I am meaning to look at some others of hers as well after hearing this but they seem to vary quite a bit and will check them out first. "Code Girl" her latest has been getting good reviews.

from Halvorson more current albums I like the most her Illegal Crowns project :

here are some samples from the album:

http://www.squidco.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=22321

The newest one on Tzadik is unusual for her - duets with Bill Frisell  mostly in his already traditional down-tempo key

Edited by snobb - 04 Sep 2018 at 7:11am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 12:59pm
^ All of that sounds good, but I really like her arrangements for larger ensembles and her work with steel guitarist Susan Alcorn too.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

^ I don't know that album, but Mary Halvorson has been a person of interest lately, love the way she can get deep into jazz guitar ala Jim Hall or Wes Montgomery, and then switch up and go NYC avant-pop like Sonic Youth.
It's the only one of hers I have John, it is great for the last edition for Zorn's "Book Of Angels" which is why I bought it as I have about 75% of that series from him and yes she is one hell'va guitarist. I am meaning to look at some others of hers as well after hearing this but they seem to vary quite a bit and will check them out first. "Code Girl" her latest has been getting good reviews.

from Halvorson more current albums I like the most her Illegal Crowns project :

here are some samples from the album:

The newest one on Tzadik is unusual for her - duets with Bill Frisell  mostly in his already traditional down-tempo key

Another interesting one. Nice thanks Slava.
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 2:57pm

That was great John, Fletcher was a real pioneer for Jazz. It's amazing the artists that went through his orchestra. Armstrong did not change  all that much but Coleman Hawkins kept adapting to what was current in Jazz pretty much throughout his career.
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:29pm
Heavyweight
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:55pm
Re Fletcher Henderson, the late 20s and early 30s were a special time in jazz. The big band arrangements of Henderson, Don Redmond, the young Ellington and others were insane. The dance bands of the so-called 'swing era' calmed all that down and, unfortunately, the bands did not return as much to the high octane stuff.

Edited by js - 04 Sep 2018 at 3:56pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 5:23pm
Wheres Your Cup?
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 7:41pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 3:12pm
Chants, Hymns And Dances
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 9:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 45>
  Share Topic