What are You Listening II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 45>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 4:51pm
Thought I'd go for a change after hearing the last one just about twice.

A Swingin Affair!
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2015 at 3:59pm
Ring-A-Ding Ding! [50th Anniversary Edition]

'and the bell goes ring a ding ding ,ring a ding, ding"
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 5:49pm
Thunderbolt (Live 1986)
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 4:41pm
Did you know that Sinead has even done a duet with Willie..............Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up". From his album "Across The Borderline" 1993................then again,  everybody has almost done a duet with Willie. Smile She primarily played last night this album below with "Universal Mother" and "I'm Not Bossy, I'm The Boss", her new one. With the odd track from various others. One from her first as well, "Lion and The Cobra", "Jerusalem".

I Do Not Want What I Havent Got
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

I used to have a bunch of 78s, some fairly good early jazz etc, but I decided to trade them off rather than get into another expensive 'collectibles' binge. I'm already up to my neck in LPs, vintage keyboards and other types of bulky gear. 
They are so expensive ( the good ones). My grandparents and parents had them but you would not touch them with a barge pole as they were all Popular music from that period. Unfortunately no Jazz or Roots music. Although everybody say's I am a collector, it is the music I am after, not so and so's 3rd edition with an alt take which wasn't on the first two or just buying first press' record albums that are half or more worn out for ridiculous prices. I would rather have a brand new reissue on record if I do not have the music. There is no way that I would pay thousands of dollars for any record, what I have I play. Not look at. The magazine Record Collector have an Auction section where they point out prices paid by people for demo's , first press etc. I could almost buy a house for some of the Beatles material that is auctioned off.

I have to agree with you there, a re-issue with a cut corner from a thrift store is fine with me if the music is on there.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 4:05pm
Swamp Seed
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 3:34pm

I used to have a bunch of 78s, some fairly good early jazz etc, but I decided to trade them off rather than get into another expensive 'collectibles' binge. I'm already up to my neck in LPs, vintage keyboards and other types of bulky gear. 
They are so expensive ( the good ones). My grandparents and parents had them but you would not touch them with a barge pole as they were all Popular music from that period. Unfortunately no Jazz or Roots music. Although everybody say's I am a collector, it is the music I am after, not so and so's 3rd edition with an alt take which wasn't on the first two or just buying first press' record albums that are half or more worn out for ridiculous prices. I would rather have a brand new reissue on record if I do not have the music. There is no way that I would pay thousands of dollars for any record, what I have I play. Not look at. The magazine Record Collector have an Auction section where they point out prices paid by people for demo's , first press etc. I could almost buy a house for some of the Beatles material that is auctioned off.

Edited by Matt - 02 Mar 2015 at 4:06pm
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:56pm
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 6:51pm

Can you actually play 78s?
No John, Just put the pic up to show his original label and still playing set.  I cannot go on enough about Jimmie Davis ( One of my most played Bear Family Box Sets with Carter Family, Jimmie Rodgers, and Bill Monroes 2nd period, the  one when he released "Footprints In The Snow' Uncle Pen" etc) but today it is Aaron's turn, LOL

The Now

Oh, if you ever see the doco on Joe Bussard the record collector their is a Jimmie number, if I remember right it was "She left a runnin' like a sewing machine"...............they don't make it like that anymore. 
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 3:50am
German jazz karaoke cabaret Nuke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_QuuDNRH2c
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 6:52pm
Can you actually play 78s?
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 5:59pm
Disc 3 

from 2 
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2015 at 4:54pm
Disc 2 . This was the bloke who wrote and released "You Are My Sunshine" ( bit of contention over that). This is prior and he never played this old Blues/Country stuff again. It was his best material but he disowned it after becoming governor of Lousiana 3 times. After the 1940's he did Swing and Popular................Disapprove There are some good ones in the 2nd set "You Are My Sunshine" but not a patch on this one "Nobody's Darlin' But Mine". After that he sang only Gospel ( Country style) Wacko  These recordings from this set contain a mix of white and black artists. I do not understand why they are not better known. They are stuck in Early Country but there is plenty of early New Orleans  Blues included. Slide guitar ruled in those days...........still does. Absolutely essential early music. 1928 to 1938

Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:40pm
Ive Been Played: Alysha Umphress Swings Jeff Blumenkrantz

Kinda reminds me of this cover

Swings Cole Porter
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 5:38pm
One of my old faves .

The Real McCoy
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:44pm
Matt
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 12:57am
just yesterday listened to very new album with same pianist and drummer Shocked

The Whisperer
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 6:30pm
Urban Folklore

Nice. Cool
Matt
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 9:55am
Funny vocal impressions with Christine Aguilera and Jimmy Fallon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2nOjV3AaI

Edited by js - 24 Feb 2015 at 9:56am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2015 at 4:45pm
Mary Halvorson talks about Anthony Braxton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaw0nsX3_JY

Edited by js - 23 Feb 2015 at 4:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 45>
  Share Topic