JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 70's Jazz-rock/fusion appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 70's Jazz-rock/fusion appreciation society
    Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 3:49am
This was lacking, so far

ooooops, I might have posted this in the wrong forum, thoughEmbarrassed
Please move if you think so..

Edited by Sean Trane - 23 Apr 2011 at 3:50am
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:30pm
count me in
1967/ 1976 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:36pm
70's Jazz Rock Fusion is my favorite Jazz genre. For various reasons it is the only Jazz genre that I followed.
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 6:13pm
as cheesy and stuck in the 70s the stuff is, it's great music--  I even still like DiMeola's early stuff, dated as it is

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 2:17am
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Al Di Meola and Stanlry Clarke are similar in certain musical ideas. 

Leb I Sol are great band frrom Macedonia.

Perigeo is a great band from Italy.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 3:06am
Yes - love this era in any genre! \\John MacLaughlin is unbeatable
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 3:31am
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

as cheesy and stuck in the 70s the stuff is, it's great music--  I even still like DiMeola's early stuff, dated as it is

Cheesy???Confused

Maybe ADM, but it's definitely not the first word that comes to mind when thinking of 70's JR/F
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Cheesy???Confused

Maybe ADM, but it's definitely not the first word that comes to mind when thinking of 70's JR/F

yea, what?

If anything was cheesy, it probably came out in the very late 70s, and even then there was still good stuff coming out at those times.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:32pm
I don't know, I see what he means.

It's due in part to musical cliches.

Edited by triceratopsoil - 24 Apr 2011 at 6:51pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 6:37pm
To a lot of jazz fans, fusion can have a certain excessiveness that is more similar to rock than jazz. I like early fusion, but I know a lot of my friends who were into Bop were not into it at all.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 3:38am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

To a lot of jazz fans, fusion can have a certain excessiveness that is more similar to rock than jazz. I like early fusion, but I know a lot of my friends who were into Bop were not into it at all.
I'd tend to agree with you that I much prefer the 69 to 75 fusion than the later 70's as well...

For me Black Market and a few others albums in that genre marked a new much-slicker era than the previous rawer and more powerful stuff from yesteryears.
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:46am
My favourite jazz genre though I understand why it may not be amongst the purists with a lot of stuff leaning more heavily towards the rock side. So much great stuff in the seventies.....
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 5:57am
I think that maybe is my favorite jazz sub genre too. Of course it isn't pure jazz. But it is a good kind of music.

Edited by Prog Geo - 25 Apr 2011 at 5:57am
MarkFusion93 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkFusion93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:36am
No mentions of Weather Report yet. I bought Heavy Weather recently. A fantastic album with great playing and a more mellow traditional Jazz approach then a lot of other Fusion
"The internet has given the people of the world a voice, and the world has chosen to use that voice to slander each other anonymously"

My body has gone. But my eyes remain. Hovering. Witnessing.
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:51am
Nice album! Weather report are good! Also, no one has mentioned Soft machine. Classic band!
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1967/ 1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:42am
I've listened "Stanley Clarke" and Jack DeJohnette "Sorcery"... Great albums! My reviews is on the way!
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 4:12pm
I like the early fusion from 67-71, then the "classic" era from 72-74. After that, it's hit or miss (more hit than miss, until the late 70s)

but it's hard to really say, some artists/bands peaked at different times in this genre. Some didn't even start until around 72-74

From my experience, if it came out before 1979, it's almost guaranteed at least "good", and most times it's gold.

Edited by darkshade - 25 Apr 2011 at 4:15pm
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:15pm

Near the top for me as well. Guess its because when I first got into many of these artists, it was from a prog point of view. At least things like Soft Machine and Brand X and such. Stuff like Weather Report i actually explored through the jazz side of things. Probably strange, but there you have it.

And this kind of fusion is much better to my ears than more modern fusion of today (like Niacin and the like). The 70s were indeed great for music.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 8:50pm
This is what I like and not just the same handful of bands.  There was much more that created the genre so let's here about them also.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 1:40am
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

This is what I like and not just the same handful of bands.  There was much more that created the genre so let's here about them also.

some of my favorite's from the 70s that arent always mentioned

Brand X
Sloche
Jan Hammer Group
Larry Coryell & The Eleventh House
Leb i Sol
Missus Beastly
Fermata
John Scofield
that "JACO" album with Jaco, Metheny, Paul Bley, and others...
Billy Cobham/George Duke Band
Chet Baker

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic