JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Jazz related lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Miles Davis Bio?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Miles Davis Bio?
    Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 7:14am
Hey everyone, just wanted to ask - which Miles Davis Bios you'd recommend? I read one years ago and can't recall the title unfortunately, but wouldn't mind some ideas for another good one?
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 8:04am
I have three of his books, all are good.

"Miles" - the autobiography, nice read, not nearly as dark as people make it out to be. I like his sense of humor and his sense of irony.

"Miles to Go" - memoirs of road manager Chris Murphy from the 70s to the 90s. A quick easy read, some people complain that Chris talks about himself too much, why shouldn't he, its his book.

"Miles Beyond" - more studious and less personal than the other books. Its been a while since I've read this one so I don't remember much except that you get very thorough coverage of Miles' recordings from 1967 to 1991 with dates, participants etc. Lots of info in this book that you can't find elsewhere.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 3:01pm
I've read online that Ian Carr's book is the one to get. I don't know the title though.

And then the autobiography.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:56am
Ace! Thank you both, I'll check em out Thumbs Up
Reviews...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 10:20am
Ian Carr's book for sure...
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:24am
Thanks, Sean - sounds like Ian's is a good one, 2 votes for his and 2 for the autobiography so far :)
Reviews...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic