JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The JMA Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The JMA Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread
    Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:15pm
Pat Metheny seems to be a controversial artists on these forums, so I thought I'd try and weed out the fans of his music with this thread. I have been personally listening to a lot of his music (PMG, PM solo, PM Trio, etc...), and I can't get enough of it.

I usually stay away from his "smoother" albums, as I am a big fan of albums like The Way Up, The Road To You, Bright Size Life, Offramp, etc... as well as his Trio albums like 99>00

I also love the mixing of jazz-rock and world fusion in the Pat Metheny Group albums, as I enjoy the world music flavors.

Metheny has played with so many of the modern greats, it's almost embarrassing if you do not at least know of his work, he is one of the Big 3 of Modern Jazz Guitarists
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:28pm
Like I've said many times, I'm a fan mainly because my dad is a fan and has like 20 of his albums, including his early classics, plus some later ones, including the great Secret Story, Imaginary Day and The Way Up.

I love how he has such a distinguished style, both as a guitarist and as a composer. The up-lifting lines are pure bliss.

My favorites are:

1. American Garage
2. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls
3. Watercolours
4. Pat Metheny Group
5. The Way Up
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:49pm
Apparently I don't think so low of him. I can't deny that starting with his early stuff (Bright Size Life, Watercolours) was very promising, plus I like The Way Up, but much of the rest is completely average. In a period (last year) when trying new jazz artists payed off immensely, my disappointment (overall) in Metheny was maddening and, besides, fueled even more by his popularity, trendsetting status or overrated skills/technique, given such forgettable music or downright cheeseballs.

Edited by Ricochet - 22 Apr 2011 at 2:51pm

triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 2:50pm
lol cheeseballs
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:28pm
Up until very recently, I always put him in the same class with Kenny G. Elevator music. But after hearing his performance on Like Minds with Burton, Corea and Haynes, I looked into it a bit more. I still have very few recordings but do like his work with the PM Group. I guess that's the Fusionista in me.
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by The Manticore The Manticore wrote:

UBut after hearing his performance on Like Minds with Burton, Corea and Haynes,

Something tells me Metheny wasn't dictating there. Wink

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 5:09pm
My favorite albums are

The Way Up
The Road To You
Pat Metheny Group
Bright Size Life
Offramp
American Garage

and then there are various other albums, either as a collaboration or as a guest, and they are all very good post-bop, fusion or world fusion. I stay away from his "cheeseball" recordings (though I have a few)

The Orchestrion album from last year is supposedly a great album, but I haven't heard it yet.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 5:12pm
^Orchestrion is good, but not much else. It's pretty much more of the same good ol' Metheny, just get it if you can find it cheap.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 5:18pm
I usually see it for the rough price of $18.99
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I usually see it for the rough price of $18.99

Yep, it's pretty expensive. 

Have a look:
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 7:06pm
sounds pretty cool. If I get the chance I'll get that album
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 8:48pm

I feel the music of Pat Metheny as a subjective opinion there is often a progressive part. According to circumstances, they will not stay in simple Jazz.

There might be an exchange with various musicians as a reason why they are reflected.

In addition, it thinks the proof of the element of a progressive part and AG Jazz for thought and understanding to exist in the part that participated in the album of Ornette Coleman and Steve Reich and was performed.

Pat Metheny really understood the music of Ornette Coleman. And, the performance in "Different Trains" of Steve Reich can be improved. It is guessed that this proves the allowance of Pat Metheny to be wide. Or, the election of the musician who chooses when they are made to join the recording of the album might be understood enough to practice the music that should be really done and be done.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:32pm
Right, I have Song X with Coleman, Jack DeJohnette, Charlie Haden; it's very avant-garde and not an album I can always listen to
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:00pm
Pat Metheny is an intersting artist, sometimes damn excellent, sometimes damn terrible. Of the ones I've heard (which isn't much in the full scope of things) the ones I like the most are Song X and Speaking Of Now. I should've bought Offramp when I had the chance, but didn't. And I've almost bought The Way Up several times as well. Maybe now that i'm on a jazz kick I'll actually do that...

That Orchestrion album is interesting. I love the concept behind it, but the execution doesn't completely float my boat. I just think sometimes It's not being used to its full potential. The title track is wonderful though. There was some live footage of it somewhere, which I also enjoyed. Hopefully he continues to work in that vein as it is very interesting and can yield some wonderful results.

For a different take, I have a collaboration between Derek Bailey, Pat Metheny, Gregg Bendian and Paul (I think) Wertico which, if you know Bailey's career, is well out of the range of "cheeseballs". Free form, generally aggressive duelling guitars/percussions. Quite nice. And of course, there's always Zero Tolerance For Silence. Tongue 
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2011 at 6:42pm
^I agree with you about Orchestrion, the concept is interesting and parts of it are fantastic, but overall it's not that good.

If you liked Speaking of Now, which is pretty much the "new style of Metheny", albums like Imaginary Day or Secret Story are recommended. The Way Up, I had thought it was overrated until I listened to it again the other day, it's indeed damn brilliant, very Prog-like, but unique.

And yes, you should have got Offramp (or any other early Metheny) hehe. 

I still haven't listened to Song X though.
Zarathustra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zarathustra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 11:18am
I've been a life-long follower of Pat's stuff--all of it from Gary Burton, Joni Mitchell, Group, solo, Ornette, Haden, etc. I've loved his fusion of world sounds, his raw free form, his orchestral arrangements, as well as his choice of musicians (Rodby and Wertico are amazing!) To truly be won over by him, however, I believe you've got to experience him live. His performances are among the most engaging I've ever attended. "I've never danced so much while sitting in a seat!" was my comment after the first time I saw him (1985).

Faves: "New Chatauqua," "Secret Story," "As Falls Witchita, So Falls Witchita Falls," "Beyond the Missouri Sky," and "The Way Up."   
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:42am
Not that big a fan of Metheny... I've heard mostly his early stuff, though, but hardly everything from that time either

I'd say Offramp, Chautauqua, Watercolours, Travels, Bight Size, are the ones I like most (and in some kind of order in this case), but I don't own any (I just rent them)
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 3:06pm
Ive seen a lot of people have been listening to "As Falls Witchita..." lately, I'll have to throw that one on, I havent heard it in years
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 3:15pm
Song X is the only Metheny I like and this probably because it's atypical Metheny
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2011 at 12:07pm
LOL

Honestly, I probably wont get that one for a long time; I'm not the biggest fan of covers albums
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic