JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The JMA Pat Metheny Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Pat's Pikasso 42-string guitar

LOLLOL

My god I want one!!

Are there albums out there he has used this on?

I know for a fact that he uses it on the Pat Metheny Group album "The Road To You", which I also believe is his best rated album on JMA. I also think it's his (their) best album before "The Way Up".
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 7:50pm
Unfortunately I have not yet checked Unity Band. The formation resembles formation such as "80/81", but probably the musicality will be different enough. When listeners like the music that current Pat goes, the listener may enjoy it.

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 5:42pm

LOLLOL

My god I want one!!

I know for a fact that he uses it on the Pat Metheny Group album "The Road To You", which I also believe is his best rated album on JMA. I also think it's his (their) best album before "The Way Up".

Hmm...interesting. I wasn't completely enamormed with the samples of TRTY I heard. Perhaps it's time I reevaluate (this was some time ago).
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Unfortunately I have not yet checked Unity Band. The formation resembles formation such as "80/81", but probably the musicality will be different enough. When listeners like the music that current Pat goes, the listener may enjoy it.

Mmmm...that was pretty sweet!
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2012 at 6:05pm

LOLLOL

My god I want one!!

Hmm...interesting. I wasn't completely enamormed with the samples of TRTY I heard. Perhaps it's time I reevaluate (this was some time ago).

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 4:20pm
Yeah, thats not bad. But I do prefer the Unity Band clip above. Tongue

I assume the insane guitar is being played on that track??
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2012 at 9:09pm
I'm not sure. I don't think so. However, I don't remember which tracks he used it for.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 4:58pm

Well, I bit the bullet and bought The Road... anyway.

Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2012 at 8:22pm
What do you think?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 3:22am
Just bought it today so I haven't listened to it yet, but I'll come back to this thread when I do.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Dean Watson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 12:07pm
The Road to you is brilliant in my opinion.  That guy, or should I say that band, makes the best use of reverb I have ever heard.  So lush and soft but never surfy or blanketed .....

Btw - that guitar was made just a walk away from where my son currently lives in Toronto.  Linda has made two of them, and said if made a third it would sell for $100,000.  I wonder what Pat has paid for his 16 or so of her guitars he has purchased over the years?
Find me at:

http://deanwatson.bandcamp.com/track/Fantasizer
New CD "Fantasizer!" out now!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:18pm
His Orchestrion Project cd is lovely. Definitely more enjoyable than the studio CD.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:02pm
Interesting. I will probably pick it up sometime soon. I've been meaning to get some more Metheny albums for some time.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Dean Watson Dean Watson wrote:

The Road to you is brilliant in my opinion. 

I agree. It might just be his best album ever. There's something magical about it.

Listened to The Way Up recently, for the first time in a while. Another gorgeous album, and one that really grows on you or years. I could see it being the Pat Metheny Group's swan song, as I don't see the band reforming anytime soon...
FromArmstrongtoZappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 3:00pm
I picked up an lp by Pat Methany and Ornette Coleman called Song X and I highly recommend it. You can hear samples on youtube.

FromArmstrongtoZappa
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 12:13am
^ That is definitely my favorite Metheny record I have. Endangered Species in particular is brilliant.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 6:04am
It looks Pat tried new field collaborating with John Zorn on new album - a bit more adventurous, but still same Pat Metheny though

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:22am
What's the difference between that one and this one?

Also, are these Book of Angels series considered John Zorn albums, or by the band/artist releasing it??
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:37am
The Book of Angels series contains music from other artists, not just Zorn.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 9:25am
Is there overlapping material or is it all new?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic