1 [20.00%]
1 [20.00%]
3 [60.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three New-ish Jazz Bands
    Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:21pm
Three bands that probably have zero in common with each other, other than the fact that they play jazz music in the 21st century. Nevertheless, my mind connects them.

Any favorites? Any one familiar with them? Tongue
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:41pm
I have listened to all three at some time, ... them and a couple hundred other bands as well, let me refresh my memory and I'll get back to you.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:46pm
Glad you mentioned giving this a replay, Mostly Other people do the Killing absolutely kicks ass, they will be hard to beat, but lets give the others a chance.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:51pm
OK, the jury is out, all three are good, but Peoples gets the vote.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 9:51pm
Thumbs Up
I actually heard a track of theirs off of Shamokin' (probably about two years ago) and it didn't strike my fancy so I let them drop off the radar completely. But then, one weekend recently I heard several tracks off of Forty-Fort and my ears exploded with joy and I wondered where they had been all my life.

Edited by Cannonball With Hat - 28 Jan 2014 at 9:51pm
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 12:28am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

OK, the jury is out, all three are good, but Peoples gets the vote.

Not a bad choice.

For me they are probably the most consistent of the three, but Led bib can equal them in terms of awesome, but it's mixed with other moments that fall a little flat. So basically, my vote will probably go to them as well.

Polar Bear ain't bad, but a definite third for me.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 3:27pm
Vote for MOPDTK , they have released some great things (and some fillers as well). Led Bib was big event in London when they released their first two albums, later they just became not too much interesting. Polar Bear ....   have no opinion, just not my cup of tea

BTW, MOPDTK members solo works are even better then band's :)

Edited by snobb - 29 Jan 2014 at 3:28pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2014 at 5:16pm
If you can recommend some Kevin Shea works it'd be appreciated. Smile
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 12:56am
Sorry, I am familiar with Peter Evans and Jon Irabagon solo works only, both are great Embarrassed

BTW, Irabagon plays on last Barry Altschul album you most probably know
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 10:47am
I am not familiar with Polar Bear, don't like Led Bib so my choice is obvious
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Sorry, I am familiar with Peter Evans and Jon Irabagon solo works only, both are great Embarrassed

BTW, Irabagon plays on last Barry Altschul album you most probably know

Haha. Np. I'm fairly familiar with Peter Evans...love his trio with Mary Halvorson and Weasel Walter. His quartet album "!" I also enjoy highly. And I have that Trumpets & Drums album with Nate Wooley, J Black...and the other drummer (Embarrassed) which I also like.

What I heard from that BA album has been pretty good. I should add that to my to get list.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2014 at 6:52pm
My polls always turn into run-aways.
After doing some more listening, I'm going to vote for Led Bib. Perhaps some of the reasons involve pity. Tongue
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 12:59am
so, how this poll results looks from one year time distance?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 6:21pm
Well...

I'm certainly listening to MOPDTK the most. Polar Bear's latest album is probably my favorite my them and Led Bib's The People... made my top ten...so all bands still kicking ass and taking names.

I'm still comfortable with my vote too. Thumbs Up
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Frederic_Alderon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frederic_Alderon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2018 at 1:32am
Good cast of Bands actually, I've listen to them from time to time, but for actually no reasoning I like Polar Bear more...
ELINASISY View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ELINASISY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 12:19pm
[QUOTE = Cannonball With Hat]
Mes sondages se transforment toujours en coulisses.
Après avoir écouté davantage,= "{" 2 ": 6275," 3 ": {" 1 ": 0}," 4 ": [null , 2,16777215], "10": 2, "14": [null, 2,0], "15": "arial, sans, sans-serif"} ">> Torrent TurboTax Gogoanime   je vais voter pour Led Bib. Peut-être que certaines des raisons impliquent la pitié. Langue[/CITATION]
Kevin Shea, nous vous en serions reconnaissants. Sourire

Edited by ELINASISY - 04 Jan 2019 at 1:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic