JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sun Ra: Saturn's celestial guardian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:35pm
@ Katje

I haven't written a lot of reviews yet, so they do not reflect my overall tastes; but I enjoyed the Jazz In Silhouette album, though I should throw it on again just to be sure Wink
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 10:53pm
I wanted to start this thread but I couldn't think of a good opening post. Embarrassed

Probably my favorite jazz artist. I love the creativity, the avant nature of alot of his work, and the percussive power. I honestly don't think I can choose a favorite album but Atlantis is certainly up there. The Complete Nothing Is... excels on all possible levels as well. Really...theres not to many albums I've heard by him that I found disappointing. (Admittedly, most of his later work I don't know) Even his more straightforward albums are quite nice and I would probably enjoy listening to them more than other big name classic albums in a similar vien (or not).  
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 3:54am
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

@ Katje
I haven't written a lot of reviews yet, so they do not reflect my overall tastes; but I enjoyed the Jazz In Silhouette album, though I should throw it on again just to be sure Wink

Well, you do realize I'd have to ignore you for the rest of eternity if you don't Tongue

Seriously, if you do, try Angels and Demons at Play. 'tis a great album. Further more something inside of me is thinking Sleeping Beauty is a good recommendation. I'd warn off any heavy lifting while listening to that one. As the titled aptly describes, it offers a small slice of beauty and warmth (slowly building in momentum), sometimes missing from its more abstract brethren. An aforementioned work, a little more funky and fusion-ish aka Lanquidity is kind of hard to ignore especially as a starting point. For his 60's works, The Magic City is a popular one from which one can work backwards or forwards depending on taste and inclination.  

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

I wanted to start this thread but I couldn't think of a good opening post. Embarrassed 

Ha ha... either could I, but decided to bludgeon way through some brief inanities to get the ball rolling. Need to get those videos up where his talkin' 'bout his philosophy, no man has spoken with such gravity on the Saturnic spirituality! Oh, and I fully agree with the rest of your post which I've so sadly neglected to quote. 

His Arkestra are going to be playing at a Jazz festival near me in June, so (I couldn't think of another word to describe my excitement) excited. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Katje Katje wrote:

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

@ Katje

Well, you do realize I'd have to ignore you for the rest of eternity if you don't Tongue

Seriously, if you do, try Angels and Demons at Play. 'tis a great album. Further more something inside of me is thinking Sleeping Beauty is a good recommendation. I'd warn off any heavy lifting while listening to that one. As the titled aptly describes, it offers a small slice of beauty and warmth (slowly building in momentum), sometimes missing from its more abstract brethren. An aforementioned work, a little more funky and fusion-ish aka Lanquidity is kind of hard to ignore especially as a starting point. For his 60's works, The Magic City is a popular one from which one can work backwards or forwards depending on taste and inclination.  

Ha ha... either could I, but decided to bludgeon way through some brief inanities to get the ball rolling. Need to get those videos up where his talkin' 'bout his philosophy, no man has spoken with such gravity on the Saturnic spirituality! Oh, and I fully agree with the rest of your post which I've so sadly neglected to quote. 

His Arkestra are going to be playing at a Jazz festival near me in June, so (I couldn't think of another word to describe my excitement) excited. 

First off...I second the recommendation for Angels And Demons At Play. It is quite nice and the CD comes with The Nubians Of Plutonia...which is also damn excellent IMO. Interstellar Low Ways is also a favorite of my from his earlier period.

And...Katje you did better than I would have done! Hell your title is also more exciting. Tongue But yes...those vids would be cool to see. He was a character if there ever was one. And nice. I should probably look into that more...even without the big man on keys that has to be one hell of a show.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:09pm
Space is the Place DVD (well the first couple of parts, the rest is on the tube)

Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 4:35pm
I only have Jazz In Silhouette, Super sonic Jazz, Cosmic tones for Mental Therapy and Art Forms of Dimensions Tomorrow. I do like them. One suggestion though and it is a great album and the title describes it beautifully as it is a real blowing session

Blowing in From Chicago
Matt
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 6:15pm
I have to run through some of the recommendations here.  I've heard a few songs, but don't know what albums they were from.  I was at a large music store today, and they had at least 10 different Sun Ra albums.  I couldn't choose, so I'll do some research. Smile
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:47am
Shameless bump.

Really digging The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:35pm
I will also bump this.

It seems like the work of Sun Ra will never stop. Just got Cosmo Earth Fantasy and Continuation and they are long down the line of "fresh" Sun Ra work that is being released.

Art Yard/ReR is going a great job keeping his legacy alive (though I should say Continuation is on a different label I've never heard of).
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by triceratopsoil triceratopsoil wrote:

Shameless bump.Really digging The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra

This is also another great suggestion for those who like the early work.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 4:22am
Anyone ever see this movie with Sun Ra??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NwNtxFH6IjU

Edited by Sean Trane - 14 Jul 2013 at 4:23am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 7:27am
I have it posted on his site page, or at least part of it. I thought we had the whole movie. I also had an hour long documentary on his page, but I don't see that anymore. Confused

Edited by js - 14 Jul 2013 at 7:29am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 2:10pm
A Further Exploration of the Many Sun Ra Albums on BandcampBy Piotr Orlov · February 25, 2021

Edited by snobb - 25 Feb 2021 at 2:10pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:42pm

Probably my favorite jazz artist. I love the creativity, the avant nature of alot of his work, and the percussive power. I honestly don't think I can choose a favorite album but Atlantis is certainly up there. The Complete Nothing Is... excels on all possible levels as well. Really...theres not to many albums I've heard by him that I found disappointing. (Admittedly, most of his later work I don't know) Even his more straightforward albums are quite nice and I would probably enjoy listening to them more than other big name classic albums in a similar vien (or not).  

Also 10 years later...Sun Ra has indeed cemented himself as my favorite jazz artist. And 'new' work is still being pumped out (or at least re-releases of stuff that hasn't been available in forever) so its still like discovering him all over again. 
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 6:08pm
The archival stuff they have been putting out lately is top notch.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic