JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sun Ra: Saturn's celestial guardian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sun Ra: Saturn's celestial guardian
    Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:33pm
Post everything Sun Ra here; love, outright hate, spam, whatever takes your fancy. One of the most consistent cat's in the game. Not many artist (imo) have released such a string of solid albums over so many years. 
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:35pm
I've loved everything I've heard from him so far - I own The Magic City and Interstellar Low Ways, both on vinyl actually, and I've heard Atlantis on Grooveshark.  Definitely an artist I need to explore further. 
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:49pm
One of my favorite artists of all time, I have reviews up for "Atlantis" and "Angels and Demons' , two incredible albums.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:55pm
Sticking with the more far out experiences I'd go for:

- The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra (both volumes, especially the first)
- Other Planets of There (this gets little over looked in comparison some of the others from this period)
- Cosmic Tones For Mental Therapy
- Strange Strings (pretty angular, chaotic, might turn some people off)
Then maybe a live album
- Nuits de la Fondation Maeght (again both volumes. One works as a perfect extension of the other) 

Either side of this bulk of albums (predominantly 60's driven) you'll find a variances in styles. Earlier stuff is more bop influenced (tho no less worthy) and the latter day, from 'bout 70's onwards (plus a couple of live) tend to have a more funky, fusion with a slight avant-garde feel (to make sweeping generalizations).
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

One of my favorite artists of all time, I have reviews up for "Atlantis" and "Angels and Demons' , two incredible albums.

the later was my first Ra vinyl acquisition, these days finding itself quickening towards but a static haze. I'll mosey on over to your reviews in a sec, the morning coffee awaits some light reading.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by Katje Katje wrote:

You know there's a third volume released now?  I haven't heard any of the volumes yet (though I want to), there's a box set edition which comes with all three I've had my eye on for a little while.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

You know there's a third volume released now?  I haven't heard any of the volumes yet (though I want to), there's a box set edition which comes with all three I've had my eye on for a little while.

That I did not, I've a tendency to display a certain amount of negligence when it comes to keeping up to date. Any links for that box?
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:25am
I only have Space is the Place.  Weird as hell, but I love it.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:39am
Hit me with some newbie recommendations, I've never heard any of his stuff but I'm interested.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Hit me with some newbie recommendations, I've never heard any of his stuff but I'm interested.

Considering your avvy I'd hit up Lanquidity ('78), fusion-ish with some killer funky breaks. Checkout the track 'where pathways meet' for a primer (I assume it will be on youtube - which I cannot access).
Noak2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 11:24am
I should love him more than I actually do. The only really brilliant album of his that I've heard s far i Concert for the Comet Kohoutek.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:05pm

Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

That I did not, I've a tendency to display a certain amount of negligence when it comes to keeping up to date. Any links for that box?

This should do the trick: http://www.amazon.com/Heliocentric-Worlds-Sun-Ra/dp/B003X2O6SY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303358620&sr=8-1
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:31pm
I only have Jazz In Silhouette but Ive heard Atlantis before (but only once, like 3 years ago...). What's a good one to get?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:32pm
Did he ever collaborate with Miles Davis?
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:04pm

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No

Haven't you heard?

They've been releasing dozens of albums in outer space. It's said to be the greatest jazz music that humans will never have the chance to hear. 
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:26pm

Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Considering your avvy I'd hit up Lanquidity ('78), fusion-ish with some killer funky breaks. Checkout the track 'where pathways meet' for a primer (I assume it will be on youtube - which I cannot access).

Thanks! I'll be getting that one and Atlantis from my library for starters.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:38pm
Atlantis is really bizarre, I like it a lot, but its unique to say the least.
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I only have Jazz In Silhouette but Ive heard Atlantis before (but only once, like 3 years ago...). What's a good one to get?

Did you like these? Something from a similar era as Jazz in Silhouette is Angels and Demons at play. I've not got a gauge of many peoples taste here yet; probably should look at your reviews before posting. He has a pretty broad discography, so it is sometimes hard what to recommend, especially if one isn't too keen on more avant-garde kinds of jazz. 

Originally posted by Noak2 Noak2 wrote:

I should love him more than I actually do. The only really brilliant album of his that I've heard s far i Concert for the Comet Kohoutek.

For me my interest in Sun Ra is build upon the consistency of his vision. If I'm being honest with myself (which I'm often not Wink) there are not many standout masterpieces within the breath of his work like other jazz greats (if, indeed he is considered as such) like Coltrane, Davis, Mingus, et cetera. He had a quite definite vision on what he saw to be creation and built-up a group of people (his Arkestra in many forms) with like minded thoughts, so in this way it was collective being (if were to look at it from a spiritual slant), and in the process of these continuous experiments they managed to release of string of top-notch albums over 30 odd years which stayed true to their modes of thought. While this is not my doctrine upon anyone I've always approached a Sun Ra album a little differently than I would most artist.  

Atlantis is really bizarre, I like it a lot, but its unique to say the least.

That it is, especially the titled track. I think it incited next doors cat to malt, or maybe it was just a coincidence...  
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 9:21pm
I'm thinking not a coincidence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic