JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Jazz masterpieces

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Jazz masterpieces
    Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:18pm

triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Noak2 Noak2 wrote:

Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:57am
This is impossible but I'll offer a few from the Golden Era.   The new Golden Era is right now, by the way.  Jazz hasn't seen this much tremendous talent and amazing stuff pushing the boundaries since the 60's.

Anyhow, I'll point out that Coltrane's A Love Supreme is a given.

I guess Eric Dolphy is a running theme here.
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 12:01pm
I can't choose just one or three. 
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 1:22pm
I kind of just want to post Mingus' discography here
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 8:50pm
I'll resort to two:

Grachan Moncur III - Evolution (Line-up Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Bob Crenshaw, Tony Willians)

Max Roach - We Insist! Max Roach's - Freedom Now Suite
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 12:18am
Mingus is winning the golden slipper so far,....
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 4:05am
Another slow thread....... must be more jazz masterpieces somewhere
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 8:44am
I might have to put Mingus up for mine too - maybe KOB, tough choice indeed. In terms of impact maybe KOB, but it really is hard to go past The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, still very much enamored of it.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:52am
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is a masterpiece. Just an album full of beautiful music.

Giant Steps and A Love Supreme are also 2 Coltrans albums that are essential jazz listening

Mingus Ah Um and Black Sinner... are up there as well.

There's definitely more, but I need to go through my collection, as this is off the top of my head.

As far as fusion; I never found Mahavishnu Orchestra albums masterpieces (though essential). In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew by Miles definitely are, as well as Romantic Warrior and Hymn Of The Seventh Galaxy by Return to Forever, Spectrum by Billy Cobham, and many more. Again, I'll need to go through my collection.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 2:37pm
Maiden Voyage by Hancock
My Favorite Things by Coltrane
The Koln Concert by Keith Jarrett

As for fusion, one of my all-time faves: Where Have I Known You Before by Return to Forever.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 3:31pm
A couple have already been suggested

Miles Davis........."Kind Of Blue"

John Coltrane........."My Favourite Things" 

McCoy Tyner........... "The Real McCoy"

Sonny Rollins..........."Worktime"

Any album done by a good Jazz vocalist with Fats Waller, Rodgers and Hart or Hammerstein, Cole Porter, Hoagy Carmichael, Johnny Mercer,  etc. even Hank Williams. These people wrote so many standards that are constantly played by Jazz musicians. Yep get to know the roots or  if not the original version, something pretty close.

Then you can sing along ( in bits, depending on the approach) and you will better enjoy the various improvised takes from any Jazz artist better.

Suggested vocalists

Frank Sinatra
Frankie Laine
Jimmy Rushing
Billy Holiday
Ella Fitzgerald
Anita O'Day
Bobby Darin

and of course although it is his trumpet playing that is the best bit Louis Armstrong............

Don't go for the earlies from the 20's (they are Great) but the best representation and sound in any albums are the two Columbia's he did in the mid fifties

Louis Armstrong Plays WC Handy

Satch Plays Fats.....................( Fats Waller material)

And one last vocalist who although is not listed on the site. He is a popular singer primarily

DEAN MARTIN  Cool Big smile  AKA Dino 

Having a little joke about Dino at the moment after I played 4 or 5 albums in a row the other day. 

Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 6:42pm

Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:43am
Coltrane's A Love Supreme is probably my favorite pure jazz album. Love it more with every listen.

Brotzmann's Machine Gun above is also wonderful, and my favorite free jazz album. No album I've found has that intensity. In any genre.

Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Tongue
Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 11:18am
I saw a movie recently at my cousin's house, it starred Dean Martin. Must have been from the 60s.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 3:38pm
MIssing Italy already

Greatest Masterpieces - still leaning toward KOB but I will keep thinking.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I saw a movie recently at my cousin's house, it starred Dean Martin. Must have been from the 60s.
Was Jerry Lewis with him?
Matt
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

MIssing Italy already

Greatest Masterpieces - still leaning toward KOB but I will keep thinking.

What would a wedding be without "That's Amore" Big smile
Matt
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 8:32pm
No. It was a spy movie or something like that. I don't remember details as I wasn't giving it my full attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic