JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Couple of Miles Davis corrections

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Couple of Miles Davis corrections
    Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:02am
A couple of things I noticed while looking at the discography:

Circle in the Round should be moved to compilations, as it features recordings ranging from 1955 all the way to 1970. 

The sixth track, Splash, is a CD bonus track not included on the original album. Water Babies' status as a proper studio album might be debatable, but instead of moving it to compilations I'd counter by moving 1958 Miles from compilations to studio albums, since it's all from a single session, except for the last track Little Melonae, which I think is from 1955 and duly dropped from the edition that came in my Complete Columbia Recordings box set and replaced with an alternate take of Fran-Dance. Wikipedia uses both studio album and compilation descriptions with 1958 Miles while placing it under studio albums in the discography. There's at least three different track listings for 1958 Miles; the original one primarily listed at Wikipedia (including stuff later released on Jazz at the Plaza), the newer pressing listed at JMA and the one I've got with Little Melonae cut and replaced with Fran-Dance.

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:41am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Circle in the Round should be moved to compilations, as it features recordings ranging from 1955 all the way to 1970. 

If I'm right all material presented on this album is released here for the first time - so we count it as regular album, not compilation. On JMA we understand compilation as collection of previously released material. In jazz there are lot of studio albums completed from different previously recorded material (which haven't been released before)

Edited by snobb - 14 Sep 2013 at 5:19am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 4:57am

The sixth track, Splash, is a CD bonus track not included on the original album.  

corrected
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:14am

Water Babies' status as a proper studio album might be debatable, but instead of moving it to compilations I'd counter by moving 1958 Miles from compilations to studio albums, since it's all from a single session, except for the last track Little Melonae, which I think is from 1955 and duly dropped from the edition that came in my Complete Columbia Recordings box set and replaced with an alternate take of Fran-Dance. Wikipedia uses both studio album and compilation descriptions with 1958 Miles while placing it under studio albums in the discography. There's at least three different track listings for 1958 Miles; the original one primarily listed at Wikipedia (including stuff later released on Jazz at the Plaza), the newer pressing listed at JMA and the one I've got with Little Melonae cut and replaced with Fran-Dance.

"1958 Miles" is true compilation album - released in 1974 (in Japan) it contains whole A-side(3 compositions) from studio album "Jazz Track" (originally released in 1959) plus two more compositions (from live album, released in 1973),what means it contains only previously released music. When possible, our added albums always are original (first released) versions. What is stated as Original Track List on Wikipedia for this album is obvious mistake - released in 1974 as single vinyl ,this album's Side B (or Side 2 on Wiki) contains more than 30 minutes of music, what is technically impossible.I expect our added track list is real 1974-version Japanese vinyl track list, never saw the original though.

Edited by snobb - 14 Sep 2013 at 5:17am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 6:47am
Thanks for bringing these up, we're taking a second look at "Circle in the Round" due to the wide number of years it represents.
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:35am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

If I'm right all material presented on this album is released here for the first time - so we count it as regular album, not compilation. On JMA we understand compilation as collection of previously released material. In jazz there are lot of studio albums completed from different previously recorded material (which haven't been released before)
Ah, ok, that makes sense. So how about Directions? It contains all unreleased material, but a few tunes were released before as different versions. Most of it was brand new but I suppose it stays as a compilation because of tracks 2-4? 

It indeed seems there's no truth to Wikipedia's "original" 1958 Miles track listing. The only LP version Discogs.com is aware of was released in 1979 and included the tracks already on JMA. It could be mentioned on the album's page, though, that the pressing included in the Complete Columbia Album Collection box set omits Little Melonae in favor of Fran-Dance (alternate take) (5:52).

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:54am

Ah, ok, that makes sense. So how about Directions? It contains all unreleased material, but a few tunes were released before as different versions. Most of it was brand new but I suppose it stays as a compilation because of tracks 2-4? 

It's difficult to find out in this case which versions of songs are used on this release, if we'll believe that album's title is correct we can expect it contains unreleased songs or versions. So here I agree with you - it can be moved to "studio albums" section
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:02am

It indeed seems there's no truth to Wikipedia's "original" 1958 Miles track listing. The only LP version Discogs.com is aware of was released in 1979 and included the tracks already on JMA. It could be mentioned on the album's page, though, that the pressing included in the Complete Columbia Album Collection box set omits Little Melonae in favor of Fran-Dance (alternate take) (5:52).

added
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

It's difficult to find out in this case which versions of songs are used on this release, if we'll believe that album's title is correct we can expect it contains unreleased songs or versions. So here I agree with you - it can be moved to "studio albums" section
According to the booklet of the Complete Columbia box set, the version of 'Round Midnight was recorded at the Blackhawk on the Saturday night in 1961, apparently first released on Directions and only much later in the Complete Friday and Saturday Nights at the Blackhawk release. 

So Near, So Far was recorded on April 16, 1963 whereas the version on Seven Steps to Heaven was recorded on May 14. The April 16 version was later included as a bonus track on the current Seven Steps pressing.

Limbo was recorded on May 9, 1967, the final version on Sorcerer is from May 16. Again the May 9 version is nowadays found on the Sorcerer CD as a bonus track.

So yes, according to a very good source all the material saw its first release on Directions Smile
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 3:49pm
we did a great job,Pekka Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic