JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What got you into jazz?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What got you into jazz?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 3:33pm
What got me exploring jazz was love for FUNK and R&B, especially early 70's stuff. Earth, Wind & Fire to be specific......very heavy jazz influence in their early recordings. From there I started with Miles Davis......Then I met my wife who is from New Orleans, that got me into the Marsalis brothers and deep southern jazz and blues....As far as I am concerned the roots of rock music.
Artists like Weather Report, Spyro Gyra, Buddy Rich, Coltrane frequent my turntable platter also.

But it is still a work in progress......and having fun!
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 3:36pm
band class at school
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 3:39pm
I was bored listening again and again toi the same classic and prog music , I needed some new music to listen to, so I started to listen to jazz.
Matt View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 3:40pm
About 20 years back, was fed up with Rock and wanted something different.
Matt
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 3:57pm
My curiosity and my passion about music.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 4:07pm
^ That's cool!!
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 4:11pm
I don't remember. Confused
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I don't remember. Confused

Same here, haha.  I know it was before high school jazz band, because we only got that after I and a couple others practically begged the band director to try it during my senior year.  No idea, really...I guess I was naturally drawn to the music. Wink
bsidePL View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsidePL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:12pm
For me it was one and only Pat Metheny!!! And my parents :).

In my house father used to play some jazz/funk CD's rather often, but I didn't get it at all. More - I've hated it! Everything has changed after only one concert, where my partens brought me - Pat Metheny Group in 2003 with Speaking of Now Tour. After few pieces I was in love with this music.
zdunne View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zdunne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 7:10pm
For me, it was my father's interest in it listening to Smooth jazz radio.  Though I wasn't as interested was a child (my tastes were more mainstream at that time) as I am now (i have added a lot of my father's tastes to my own as time goes by), the more I discovered what was beyond mainstream radio the more I enjoyed, especially the classic era of fusion.

Edited by zdunne - 19 Apr 2011 at 7:15pm
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 8:52pm
It's funny, I was going to create a similar thread, but then I didn;t because I didn't have an answer for myself.

I honestly don't know. As far as I can remember I've liked jazz (or at least jazzy influences) since I started to get seriously into music. Learned of the big names, somehow, and started to explore the fusion side of the genre (thanks to PA). Further on in time I started to get "straight" jazz music into my collection.

I guess at the end of the day, I like it because its very 'music thats about that music' (at least the stuff I know/like [so...sans vocal/pop jazz...and perhaps other stuff]). I like the improv nature of it as well...things constantly changing, evolving. Certainly something that I like in my music.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 9:38pm
I'm trying to remember what were my first encounters with jazz; it was probably swing, Django, Billie Holliday, this kind of stuff. In that case, it must have been the melodies and the beats, on one side, and the historic aura on the other. Think of the movie "Cotton Club" or the computer game "Mafia" and it's soundtrack... All that great stuff, inspiring for a kid. 
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:12pm
Simple. PROG.

I grew up listening to Emerson, Bruford, Zappa etc. Once I moved onto Return To Forever and Weather Report, I was hooked.
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

I'm trying to remember what were my first encounters with jazz; it was probably swing, Django, Billie Holliday, this kind of stuff. In that case, it must have been the melodies and the beats, on one side, and the historic aura on the other. Think of the movie "Cotton Club" or the computer game "Mafia" and it's soundtrack... All that great stuff, inspiring for a kid. 

Yeah, I agree about the historic aura
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 11:12pm

Cool

Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 1:28am
Had been playing trumpet from when I was a young teen and by the time I hit 15 -16 the infamy of Davis got the better of me and found myself huntin' down Bitches Brew at the local shops, then about every other albums of his in existence. Everything was so angular and foreign from what I heard before with no small sense of mysticism veiling my thoughts. I didn't know what to think, but a healthy unease at shifting cogs in my mind triggering a serious obsession.   
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 4:03am
Well my dad's record collection was filled with standard jazz like Armstrong, Illinois Jacket, Lionel Hampton.... so when a toddler I was drenched in melodic jazz...
My dad actively participated in a jazz club until 69 or so in Brussels...
Memphis Slim came to sleep at my parent's house a few times, as well....

The first (and last) black man I ever pinchedEmbarrassed was a Roland Rashaan Kirke sideman... It was tirst time i saw a black man, so I wanted to check out why he didn't wash and was so dirty (hey I was 4 or 5), so when he made a small fuss about it, my dad explained him why I had done so (after asking. me) and the muso started laughing.. I remember the guy lifting me by the armpits and setting me on the edge of a stage... and he played a contrabass solo for me and me only... What a friggin' memoryHug

Anyway.... I wasn't into jazz as a teenager.... I'd even forgot it existed, although I was a blues and blues-rock fan (Savoy Brown, TYA and early Fleetwood Mac).... but jazz??? Naaaaahhhh....

Then I started hationg the rock & pop scene in 1980 onwards
I had the first three Santana albums (dearly loved them), but didn't like Amigos much (at first), so i had stopped.... But I got Caravanserai.... and it clicked instantly... Through Abraxas' artwork, I got into Bitches Brew and Live Evil..... and the rest came rather easily...

For most of the 80's, I discovered 60's & 70's jazz and fusion...

I must say that I still have some problem really getting into pre-58-59 jazz though...

Edited by Sean Trane - 15 Aug 2012 at 6:37am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

alucard View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alucard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 1:02pm
Yo,
first post on Jazzarchives : So in the house where I grew up were a family with 4 brothers and 1 sister which were all one way or another into music. When I was a kid in the early 60's the brothers had a postbob band and they played in the cellar a better part of the night which pissed off a better part of the familiis in the house, especillay the working part, but I quite liked to fall to sleep to the sound of the tenor sax, drums and bass leaking through and later on when I got my first guitar sometimes for house parties I used to jam with them. In a way ternary rhythmic comes quite natural to me even so once I had my first E-guitar I was more into Rock and my first records whre all on the heavy side, Led Zep, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple etc. My father is a horn player and he used to listen a lot to Big band music. My first jazz record was MJQ with Laurindo Almeida.

Edited by alucard - 20 Apr 2011 at 1:04pm
Ricochet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricochet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 2:45pm
I was close-minded and full of fail, until the likes of John McLaughlin, Chick Corea and Keith Jarrett finally put me straight.

Noak2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noak2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 5:34pm
Hard to say. Probably started sort of when I started listening to Zappa. Wanted to listen to music similar to his and stumbled upon some of his Jazz influences (which I found in the booklet from Freak Out!). Charles Mingus, Eric Dolphy Rahsaan Roland Kirk. Found The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Mingus and fell in love with it. Then I've just continued looking for new albums to listen to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic