JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What got you into jazz?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ovalotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 7:29pm
My parents listening to Vince Guaraldi.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 7:32pm
Charlie Brown may have been it for me, actually, now that you mention Vince Guaraldi.  My parents have always loved watching the various Charlie Brown specials whenever they're on TV, and of course Guaraldi's soundtracks to those are a big part of the charm...I'd say Charlie Brown and the old Pink Panther cartoon series. 
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 7:56pm
I used to listen to the Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack when I was a pre-teen. Probably foreshadowed my interest in jazz
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:34am
My father used to LOVE watching the Lawrence Welk show.....but that umpa-lumpa, polka stuff drove me nuts! To this day when I hear it on re-runs its like a recurring nightmare for me....I usually fall down on the floor and assume the fetal position and start crying LOL

But occasionally they would do some jazz  stuff when the big band would be featured.....one of those childhood memories I guess.
My jazz collection....a work in progress.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:16pm
Prog lead to fusion lead to jazz Thumbs Up  
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:30pm
Me mum listened to the god-awful stuff all day, I had no bloody choice.

frippism View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frippism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 10:55am
Ello first post! What got into jazz is my bass teacher. First to blues, then to trad jazz, then to fusion, and then I discovered prog, and then stuff happened. I've been in many ensembles and bands and such, but me and traditional jazz have certainly been in a love-hate relationship. With that jazz has always been close. I've always liked it. I just like the weirder jazz more.
Krilons Resa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krilons Resa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 11:48am
I was reading an interview of a friend/frontman of band that I am a fan of and he was going on about A Love Supreme so I checked it out, and the rest is history.
That shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand, says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.
EatThatPhonebook View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EatThatPhonebook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 5:19am
I guess it's mostly thanks to my uncle that I listen to jazz. 
kmurphy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:20pm
I got into jazz by first learning to read and play in an orchestral setting, then formed a rock group that listened to a lot of dead…not the proudest time in my life… but i was young and wanted to learn how they jammy jammed so well.

So i discovered Paul Desmond. My life changed forever! There will never be another person who can speak as paul desmond did.

Heres a couple of my favorites that made me fall in love with jazz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkcRo7oUIro&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KwdZHDJi64
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:53pm
I was still very much a "noob" to progressive rock when I was introduced to this album...

...and the rest is history
HURBRET View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HURBRET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:49pm
I was a classical musician before anything else, and what really started it was the classical pianist Earl Wild's interpretations of Gershwin tunes. Around that time, my brother got into prog rock and so did I, so I received a simultaneous upbringing in "classic" jazz and jazz fusion.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2012 at 5:31am
Friends who were older and had broader tastes than me. I think I had to be lent a few albums multiple times. I too was getting tired of metal and my favourite rock bands like Zeppelin & Floyd, though I still love them both

Miles was the one they started me with, not any of the fusion stuff, but some Hard Bop and KOB. Pretty sure I looked into Herbie Hancock's Head Hunters next.

We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Reviews...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:27pm
Jazz Rock, of course, and free Jazz concerts in Piedmont Park in Atlanta.

Originally posted by Ovalotus Ovalotus wrote:

Oh yeah, The Charlie Brown Christmas music when I was really young didn't hurt.

Edited by Slartibartfast - 20 Aug 2012 at 7:27pm
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 6:46pm

By the way, such an event is going to be held next month in Japan.

http://www.tokyo-jazz.com/en/artists/index.html

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:29pm
Holy cow!  A lot of big guns in that one.  Also a lot of names I don't know.  That's the best thing about these festivals is discovering artists you don't know.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 7:41pm
Yes. I did not know all of musicians who appeared for the festival. Probably it does not consist of only the pure jazz musician. However, such a festival is carried out in Japan. And I thought that I could look for the name of the musician whom at least people knew by a list.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2012 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Ovalotus Ovalotus wrote:

Oh yeah, The Charlie Brown Christmas music when I was really young didn't hurt.

Same here. I used to listen to A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack a lot when I was 11 and 12, before I really "got into" music.
chuckyspell View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckyspell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2012 at 5:08pm
This may be the silliest if not shallowest reason...but in 1988 I was reading an interview with Megadeth's Dave Mustaine complaining that Jeff Young the other guitar player in the band at the time was really into Al Di Meola and that was all. So I looked in my big brother's collection and voila Elegant Gypsy was there...and here I am.
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 3:55pm
Time out by Dave Brubeck
nuff said
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic