JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need recommendations/new(er) artists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborregoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need recommendations/new(er) artists
    Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:44am
Hi,
I am brand new to the forum and somewhat a beginner when it comes to Jazz appreciation. I want to clarify that because I am not the most knowledgeable person and my "jargon" may or may not make much sense.

Anyhow, I have been listening to a lot of jazz for a year, I have been thoroughly enjoying some of the major players (most are dead) such as Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Cannonball Adderley, Buddy Tate, and many others.

I am wanting some suggestions because I would like to listen to some contemporary musicians. Can anyone recommend some good, current musicians? Let me give you a bit more specifics about what I like and don't like, hopefully that helps.

I like groups (quartets, quintets, sextets, bands, etc) and the style I like is like Dizzy's or the ones I mentioned above. I am not sure what you would call the music of DG, I would say Beebop?

As far as the instruments played I am wide open, but not particularly into bands full of electronics.

I am not into cool jazz, smooth jazz, or love songs.

Can anyone recommend some musicians/groups that are currently active?

Thanks
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 10:31am
Hi dborregoa, and welcome to the site. I'll see if I can help with the recommendations.

You're right, Dizzy plays Bop, Buddy Tate is a slightly older style and Adderly and Miles play the more modern Hard Bop.

If you are looking for modern players along those lines, you probably want to check our Hard Bop section, it is massive and there are plenty of current players there.

You can find current players who play Bop and older styles, but none of that has the fire of the original Bop players, for current players, I'd still go with the Hard Bop.

I'm heading out for a bit, but I'll be back with some more recommendations in a bit. Off the top of my head, you might want to check out Terrence Blanchard or Nicholas Payton.

Edited by js - 17 Jul 2013 at 10:32am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 12:04pm
Here's a couple more modern players you may like:
Roy Hargrove
Joe Lovano

These guys are a little more abstract, but you may like them too:
Tom Harrel
Dave Douglas
Branford Marsalis

A Bop era musician that you will probably like a lot: 
Clifford Brown

Some guys who bridge the gap between the older originals and the newer musicians:
Joe Henderson
Art Blakey
Jackie McLean

One more older musician who fits with your first list:
Lee Morgan

Edited by js - 17 Jul 2013 at 3:51pm
dborregoa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborregoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 7:14pm
Hey, thank you for the suggestions and for pointing out the hard bop section. I had a relaxing time listening to samples and on my way to buying a few albums.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 7:43pm
Cool, let me know if you hear something you like, I might want to check it out too.
dborregoa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborregoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 8:36am
I took your suggestions and did a little digging in the hard bop section and found a lot of good suggestions (again, thank you).

I went online to listen to some short samples and bought a few albums. I also have a wi-fi radio and use it, along with Pandora, to experiment with new artists. I had a blast last night listening to Branford Marsalis Quartet. I can definitely see the relation to Bop but the innovation Hard Bop introduces.

Off the top of my head, these are some artists I liked quite a bit:

Terence Blanchard 
The Unity Project
Eddie Daniels
Geof Bradfield
Ronnie Cuber
Harold Mabern
Jack Mouse Group 
Jim Rotondi
 Roy Hargrove
Tom Harrell
Dave Douglas
Branford MArsalis

I think Branford Marsalis left the strongest impression, along with Jim Rotondi, I must have spent about 4 hours last night listening.

Ronnie Cuber has an album called Boplicity that I also liked a lot and is in the list I ordered.

You are probably aware of those artists already, but hopefully you can find something in this list to try out.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 9:00am
^ No, I don't know every one of those, thanks a lot.
I like Branford as well. I have his latest CD, there are some good cuts on there.

By the way, did you ever check out Clifford Brown?

Edited by js - 18 Jul 2013 at 9:01am
dborregoa View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborregoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 9:11am
I haven't checked Clifford Brown yet, he's up next.

RoXannaMusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoXannaMusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:23am

Hello, my name is RoXanna. I am a Canadian recording artist. I would love to join your community to share my music and listen to yours as well!

Here is my collaboration with Chris Botti, a talented jazz musician, in our rendition of Lionel Richie's song, "Hello". I hope you like it, let me know what you think: http://bit.ly/1gnF4Iq

XOXO - RoXanna​
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 5:38am
Thanks RoXanna, I will check that out. Let us know if you have any CDs out, or music available to the public and we will check that out too.
Enjoy the site. Big smile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoXannaMusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 11:23am
Hi guys! Thank you for your warm welcome into the community the last time we talked. I just wanted to give you an update on my music.

I have released a LIVE video version of my lead single "Close Your Eyes" from a concert I had back in April. I would LOVE for you to check it out and let me know what you think. http://bit.ly/1oAnxGV

I have an album releasing July 8th called "Exotica." It is available for pre-order via Amazon.com http://amzn.to/1i2KJdO

I'd appreciate the feedback from the community on your thoughts of my music. Thank you guys so much for your help!

Xoxo
Roxanna
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 12:10pm
Hey, nice to hear from you.
I checked out the samples of your CD, what an excellent voice and excellent production too.
We are mostly a jazz site and your CD wasn't exactly jazz, but I did hear some Latin and jazz influences on some cuts, so maybe we can add you to our site as a Pop Jazz Crossover artist.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoXannaMusic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 9:47am
Thank you so much! If you're interested, I have an album out now called Exotic that I would love for you to hear!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/exotica-deluxe/id891160812
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic