Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vocalist Chloe Jean Teams with Ray Obiedo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vocalist Chloe Jean Teams with Ray Obiedo
    Posted: 04 Jun 2023 at 9:30am

BAY AREA VOCALIST CHLOÉ JEAN TEAMS WITH LEGENDARY GUITARIST RAY OBIEDO ON

FAIRY TALE FAIL

AN AUTOBIOGRAPHICAL ALBUM OF JAZZ ORIGINALS AND COVERS

Coming June 2, 2023 on Rhythmus Records  

CHLOE JEAN - Fairy Tale Fail cover

CHLOÉ JEAN has held many titles in her lifetime, including All American track star at UC Berkeley, Ford NY model, wife, and mother, but the one element that has been a constant in her life is music. She was singing before she could talk, and her mother encouraged her participation in musical theater and school choirs. While pursuing a life track that conceivably could have included Olympic gold as a runner, she joined the gospel choir at UC Berkeley. She became one of the group’s lead vocalists and became “addicted to the feeling of singing onstage.” After graduation, she discovered more opportunities to sing than to run, so she shifted her attention back to music. Drawing on a wide range of influences, including jazz icons Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and Nina Simone, as well as pop divas Roberta Flack, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Lauryn Hill and Jill Scott, Chloé Jean has performed and composed in many musical genres. Her song “What Could Be Better” won an award from the West Coast Songwriters Association….in the Bluegrass category!

Her present album FAIRY TALE FAIL combines original lyrics drawn from Chloé’s personal life with songs originally written as assignments for private studies with noted songwriting instructor Jai Josephs. Around this time, she joined forces with Bay Area guitarist Derrick Kudrow to form a jazz duo. Through her participation at an open mic event, Chloé was introduced to promoter Jeffrey Trager, who in turn introduced Chloé to jazz guitarist/producer RAY OBIEDO. In preparation for this album, Chloé gave Ray copies of her demos and Obiedo arranged them for a small rhythm section and horns. The sidemen included Santana keyboardist DAVID K. MATHEWS, Tower of Power bassist MARC VAN WAGENINGEN and percussionist PETER MICHAEL ESCOVEDO.

Also on rhythm section duties were pianist PETER HORVATH, Hamilton bassist DAN FEISZLI and drummers BILLY JOHNSON and JASON LEWIS. Featured horn soloists are trumpeter MIKE OLMOS and tenor saxophonists NORBERT STACHEL and CHARLES McNEAL.

In addition to Chloé Jean’s five originals, the album also includes covers of Julie London’s “Cry Me a River,” Tony Bennett’s “I Left My Heart in San Francisco,” Roberta Flack’s “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face,” the Irving Berlin standard, “Blue Skies,” and a Latin-tinged version of Billie Eilish’s “Bad Guy.” The main tracks were recorded over two days at Opus Recording in Berkeley, California. Instrumental overdubs, editing and final mixes were completed by Obiedo at his Werewolf Studios in Oakland, California. Chloé’s composition “Crazy” was recorded in front of a live audience at Oakland’s 25th Street Recording. Also recorded and filmed at that session were live versions of the title track “Fairy Tale Fail” and Lizzo‘s “About Damn Time.” A video of Chloé performing Billie Eilish’s “Bad Guy” was filmed at Bridgeway Studios (where decades earlier, Fleetwood Mac recorded their classic album, Rumours). The videos will be premiered close to the album’s release date.

The originals explore significant periods in Chloé’s development. The opening track, “Black Sheep,” discusses the struggles of being an artistic person in less than sympathetic surroundings. She encourages others to “sing proud when you finally find your voice” and “be proud to be a black sheep.” “Fairy Tale Fail” warns that life does not always have Disney endings. Prince Charming may “pick you up, but eventually lets you down.” “Free” recalls a youthful journey with a treasured friend. “We were unaware that we had it all; we were kings who didn't know that the freedom we took for granted was a treasure trove.” “Where Love Began” also looks backward to a simpler time “when love was all we had.” Finally, “Crazy” speaks to the insane behavior that one exhibits when in love: “I walked into a tree today cuz in every cloud I was seeing your face and I laughed through the pain.…”

For the past few years, Chloé Jean's life has been complicated with several health issues, most notably Stage 4 Breast Cancer. She was diagnosed in 2016, but reports that she feels very good right now, and that she is the first participant in a clinical study at the University of California San Francisco, a school considered to be at the cutting edge of cancer research. She says that she likes to talk about her illness “because it connects with so many people. After all, everyone knows someone who has been affected by this disease.” However, she doesn't want her life story to shade a listener's appreciation of her music. She calls this album, “a triumph of will and dedication. I’ve been singing all my life, and this music tells why you can never give up on yourself.” She is extremely proud of this work, and she was "thrilled to work with such incredible musicians.” At low times in her career, like many others, she questioned her motives in pursuing music as a career. But this collaboration with producer Ray Obiedo shows that she was on the right track all along.   

# # #

FAIRY TALE FAIL will be released on June 2, 2023 on Rhythmus Records and will be available on all platforms.

Online: 

Chloejean.net

Facebook.com/official.chloejeanmusic

@Chloejeanmusic

Edited by snobb - 04 Jun 2023 at 9:31am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic