JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Style / genre corrections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Style / genre corrections
    Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 6:44am
Let's start a thread for this type of correction.

McCoy Tyner - Passion Dance is filed under Fusion, but should be post-bop:
https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/mccoy-tyner/passion-dance(live)

https://www.discogs.com/release/2341909-McCoy-Tyner-Passion-Dance
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 7:47am
Please, everyone, limit this thread to albums you plan on reviewing. Also, please list one album at a time, no long lists please.
We are already aware of, and working on, all of the albums that were added incorrectly during the first year of the site.

Edited by js - 25 Jan 2023 at 12:53pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Mssr_Renard Mssr_Renard wrote:

Let's start a thread for this type of correction.

McCoy Tyner - Passion Dance is filed under Fusion, but should be post-bop:
https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/mccoy-tyner/passion-dance(live)

https://www.discogs.com/release/2341909-McCoy-Tyner-Passion-Dance
Listened to the album, and yes, post bop is the better tag for this album, it has been changed.
Mssr_Renard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:37pm
I will only use this thread for the albums I want to review. In fact that's the best way to be sure of a certain style/genre. So don't ecpect more than 2 or 3 suggestions per week.

Thank you.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 12:53pm
Of course all this applies to everyone on the site, also, please list one album at a time. We are currently going through artists discogs who were added in the first year and fixing their tags, which is a lot of albums. Its slow work so we already have our hands full.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 11:57pm
I can understand the task at hand is huge. Even at discogs there are a lot of mass-corrections necessary.

Maybe I can help out eventually?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:28am
Maybe so.  Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 4:01am
Can the two albums by The Awakening be changed to Soul Jazz. They are now tagged as fusion:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/the-awakening/hear-sense-and-feel
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:14am
Also, the three Doug Carn albums, recorded for Black Jazz Records can best be tagged as Soul Jazz. Thank you.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 6:14am
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/artist/abdul-rahim-ibrahim-doug-carn/?ac=doug%20ca
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Mssr_Renard Mssr_Renard wrote:

Can the two albums by The Awakening be changed to Soul Jazz. They are now tagged as fusion:

http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/the-awakening/hear-sense-and-feel

The album you provided is not soul jazz. I've been playing soul jazz professionally at clubs in San Francisco and Memphis for about 30 years now. I know what soul jazz is and this is not it.
This album is a mix of fusion and post bop, fusion is probably the best tag for it.
Two things determine genre: rhythm and harmonic content.

As for the other albums, please only list one at a time, we will check it out and give you an eval and then you can list another, thanks.

Edited by js - 29 Jan 2023 at 7:47am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 9:55am
The sleevenotes say it's souljazz, as does the discogs-community.
https://www.discogs.com/release/15834669-The-Awakening-Hear-Sense-And-Feel

But I just wanted to help. It definately is not fusion. Modal jazz or spiritual jazz would fit, but this website uses neither of those tags.

As for the Carn-albums, I wanted to review them, but now I don't know wich genre it is anymore. They have some similarities to Max Roach and Abbey Lincoln.

Edited by Mssr_Renard - 29 Jan 2023 at 10:31am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:21am
Discogs has good discog info but their genre tags are hit and miss, same with allmusic.
There are one or two cuts on the album that are sort of soul jazz, but generally soul jazz refers to artists like Groove Holmes, Jimmy McGrifff, Stanley Turrentine, Eddie Harris, Jack McDuff etc.
This album is not a part of that scene t all.

Edited by js - 29 Jan 2023 at 10:21am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:26am
I read some about Souljazz, and must admit you are right. Apparently I know nothing about the subgenre, although I own some Turrentine, Larry Young and Crusaders.

Fusion on the other hand is electric/amplified, like Santana and Return to Forever. The Awakening has some similaries to Joe Henderson, Lonnie Liston Smith and could be tagged as modal or spiritual jazz.

I noticed that I had too much fusion in my pie-chart, and want less. But is more my problem. Thanks fo reading, I'll have to accept that those Black Jazz albums are fusion on this site.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:33am
Fusion does not mean electric instruments. You can play ragtime on a synthesizer and you can play fusion on acoustic instruments.

Jazz (Post bop, swing, bop, hard bop etc) has swing rhythm and no backbeat. The harmonies are 7th chords or more extended harmonies.

Fusion ( jazz mixed with RnB, rock, funk etc) tends to have straight rhythms, (although the soloists may or may not  still swing) and there is a backbeat associated with rock, RnB, funk etc.
Fusion may use simple triadic harmonies or the more extended harmonies of jazz.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 10:57am
Thank you. I found out that a lot books and encyclopdia have different views. The Penguin Guide for example despises fusion, because of it's overuse of electric instruments.

I agree with the rhythm. I am a drummer and I can tell when a beat is straight forward or not. A lot of modal jazz (is that even a genre?) also uses straight forward rhythms.

I never had college in music, so all I know is from the books I have and reading sleevenotes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:00am
Anyway, I am learning every day something new. I will dig into soul-jazz. Something tells me I will like that subgenre.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:05am
Modal means that the music is in one key (or mode) instead of following complex chord changes as you get in bebop.
Modal does not work as a genre because lots of music is modal, for instance most blues, RnB and rock is modal. In jazz, modal jazz was a reaction against bebop, soloists didn't want to deal with rapidly changing chord progressions that require many different scales, instead, they wanted to stretch out on one scale or mode.

In the case of modal jazz and spiritual jazz, its the rhythm that will place it in fusion or post bop. What is difficult is that a lot of modal and spiritual jazz is often right in between fusion and post bop, its hard to pick which one.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mssr_Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:32am
Maybe The Awakening can be put in postbop-genre?

If there's one thing I'm learning is that everyone is using genres an styles as they please. And I think the musicians couldn't care less. They just do what they do.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:37am
A lot of today's jazz is just a melting pot of styles that really has no particular genre. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic