JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Question about Jazz sub-genres (racism related)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A Question about Jazz sub-genres (racism related)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fed EXXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Question about Jazz sub-genres (racism related)
    Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:14am
I am not a jazz afficionado, and have joined to ask one quick question. 

I went to a record fair at the weekend (UK) and the first thing I saw when I entered the venue was a seller who had a box marked "negro jazz".

My immediate reaction was "that sounds racist and I can't believe that old white bloke has got a box of records marked with those words in 2022."

I bit my lip, ignored this seller and carried on with my day.  Before I make contact with the organizer of the fair and try to get this bloke banned, can I just double check that there is no reason on earth to have "negro jazz" as a genre descriptor in 2022?  I'm 99% sure there isn't, but that 1% of doubt is what stopped me having a go at the bloke on the spot.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 6:08am
At first glance it does seem like something from a bygone era and its certainly not a term you would see in any modern jazz resource, but I am just curious if this guy is selling really old records that were called that in the era in which they were produced. 
If you can find what years his records are from that would tell us a lot.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 6:14am
Did a little research on the internet and that was a term used in older jazz. Keep in mind that things were very segregated in the past, so differing between jazz styles by race was probably somewhat valid. I know jazz historians who know their 20s jazz really well will tell you that jazz styles do differ markedly by race in older jazz.
If this guy is selling old records, then his definition is valid, and really, probably most collectors want 'negro jazz', not 'white jazz', because the 'negro jazz' would be better and more valid music, hence the racial term that differentiates the two.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 6:17am
I moved this to the question section of the site.
Fed EXXX View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fed EXXX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:27am
Can I just ask? 

Is there any excuse for a white man in the UK in 2022 who is selling records at a record fair to label a box "negro jazz".  It seems racist to me, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something before calling him out in a big way.

Thanks.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 9:42am
moved here as well
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Fed EXXX Fed EXXX wrote:

Can I just ask? 

Is there any excuse for a white man in the UK in 2022 who is selling records at a record fair to label a box "negro jazz".  It seems racist to me, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something before calling him out in a big way.

Thanks.
Did you see the answers I already provided, I think I covered your question as about as well as I can.

Here it is again just in case:

Did a little research on the internet and that was a term used in older jazz. Keep in mind that things were very segregated in the past, so differing between jazz styles by race was probably somewhat valid. I know jazz historians who know their 20s jazz really well will tell you that jazz styles do differ markedly by race in older jazz.
If this guy is selling old records, then his definition is valid, and really, probably most collectors want 'negro jazz', not 'white jazz', because the 'negro jazz' would be better and more valid music, hence the racial term that differentiates the two.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them.

Edited by js - 01 Aug 2022 at 10:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic