JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Few albums for beginner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Few albums for beginner
    Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 5:11am

Hello. As some of you may know from PA, my knowledge in Jazz (either classic, or Prog variants) is not big at all.

What I would like to ask you, far more skilled people than me, experts, is few recommendations for beginner in this music area. Some rather easy-accessible, yet representative pieces of Jazz that one can swallow easily and use as bridge to more "hardcore" stuff.

Thanks in advance, may this thread help others as well.

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:18am
You could start with Brubeck's Time Out, it opened my apetite for jazz
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:25pm
If you're coming from a prog backround, these might be good starters

Return to Forever - "Romantic Warrior" (1976)
Pat Metheny Group - "Pat Metheny Group" (1978)

Also, these 2 are cornerstones of classic jazz, and some of the most well known albums of the genre, for good reasons.

Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue" (1959)
John Coltrane - "Giant Steps" (1960)

I also agree Dave Brubeck's "Time Out" album is also a good starter

Edited by darkshade - 19 Apr 2011 at 12:26pm
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:45pm
Another good early album to add to a collection is Mingus' "Ah Um".  
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

Another good early album to add to a collection is Mingus' "Ah Um".  

Yes. If it came out in 1959 or 1960, you're good to go LOL
triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:51pm
Duke Ellington, Buddy Rich, Dexter Gordon, Chick Corea and stuff like that are all pretty accessible
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyJon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:52pm
Well under that criteria, what about The Shape of Jazz to Come? I guess even it's not all that "out there" if you think about it.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 12:56pm
"The Shape of Jazz to Come" by Ornette Coleman is a fine beginner album. It might tread on free jazz a little, but it's pretty tame IMO. It won't scare you off; unless you don't like implied chords LOL
Nathaniel607 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathaniel607 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 7:28pm
Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun

No sorry, I had to. 

Seriously though, as a fellow beginner, I can also recommend the albums mentioned here. I also picked up Thelonius Monk's "Straight, No Chaser". Brilliant album! And if you want something more modern, you can't really go wrong with E.S.T or Tord Gustavsen. If you're looking for something a bit crazy but not too crazy I'd recommend Nels Cline Singers - Initiate. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:05am
The first 2 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums are the best jazz i have heard and the early Jeff Beck's for sure. All prog too!

I think Miles Davis is as good as it gets for classic jazz. Bitches Brew, Kind of Blue are the usual suspects.
Try some Zappa (Zappa IN New York if you  are game)
i am no expert but I know when i hear incredible music and there it sits, Marty! 
Katje View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 10:16am
Some of Clifford Brown & Max Roach's duo albums are great starters; notably their Self Titled and Study in Brown (also featuring Sonny Rollins). From here jump straight into Max Roach's We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite if your looking for something a little more adventurous.

Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchidananda. I've had this playing many a time when visitors have been over, never a complaint. It seems to strike a perfect balance between edgy ('tis angular enough to keep my avant-garde neurons in check) and laid back vibes with there ethnic qualities.
Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawkwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:48pm
Cant go wrong with Song for my Father by Horace Silver Quintet  or Somethin' Else By  Cannonball Adderley  that will wet any one's whistle and soon you will be hooked on JazzThumbs Up 
"If you're trying to be hip, be hip." - Miles Davis
The Manticore View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Manticore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:28pm
From a fellow Progger, I would say that RTF, Weather Report, Early Zappa, Soft Machine, Brand X, McLaughlin et al are a great intro. The have enough "rockability" to let you "in" gently but reflect well on all that is great about Jazz.

Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Larry Coryell, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke, Gary Burton etc should all be on a beginner's wish list. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:51pm
hmm, always tricky whether to suggest jazz from a prog standpoint or just on its own as good music--  albums that come to mind but cover a good range are :
McCoy Tyner  Atlantis
Bill Evans  New Jazz Conceptions
John Coltrane  Coltrane's Sound;  My Favorite Things;  Africa/Brass
Thelonious Monk  Underground
Dave Brubeck  Brandenburg Gate: Revisited

good luck Marty !

idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2011 at 6:01am
Miles Davis and Coltrane are a good start, if you like them you can try anything.If you don't,  you have to take it gradually, start with some Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, you might also enjoy EST(Esbjorn Svenson Trio).

I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Marty McFly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty McFly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 7:25am

I've tried ///The Shape of Jazz to Come///

When I was listening it, my girlfriend said that it's so strange/weird/wild/crazy (not sure which word fits) that it helps her make graphic designs (her work).

And I ? I enjoyed listening it. First track took some will to keep on listening, but when I grew accustomed, everything was instantly easy. Not Easy Listening, but easier. And much more interesting.

Thanks !

AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 4:07am
Some goood ones to look up here
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic