JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - R.I.P. Juini Booth, Bassist for Sun Ra Arkestra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R.I.P. Juini Booth, Bassist for Sun Ra Arkestra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R.I.P. Juini Booth, Bassist for Sun Ra Arkestra
    Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 5:50am

R.I.P. Juini Booth, Bassist for Sun Ra Arkestra, Chick Corea, Art Blakey, and Pharoah Sanders Dead at 73

Booth also played with McCoy Tyner, Chuck Mangione, and Coleman Hawkins across his six-decade career

Juini Booth, who plied his bass with some of the grandest figures in jazz history, has died at 73.

Over his six decade career, Booth was a member of Sun Ra Arkestra and accompanied such legends as Art Blakey, Pharoah Sanders, Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, and Coleman Hawkins. He passed away July 11th, according to Buffalo News, after a six-week decline in health preceded by breaking his hip in a fall at home.

Born Arthur Edward Booth on Feb. 12th, 1948, Booth picked up his nickname from his sister Mary Booth-Bowden. “My mother would say, ‘Go call Junior!’ and I would say, ‘Juini!” she said. “He would tell everybody, ‘My sister named me!'”

Booth first established himself in the jazz scene of his hometown of Buffalo, New York. He moved to New York City after an encounter with Art Blakey. According to his longtime friend, pianist Kevin Doyle, “When Art Blakey came to Buffalo, Juini sat in with the band. In one version of the story, Art Blakey told him, ‘When you’re in New York, look me up!’ The story is that Juini got on a train the next day to go to New York, and showed up with a suitcase and a bass at Art Blakey’s door, and that’s how he started playing with Art Blakey’s band.”

from https://consequence.net

Edited by snobb - 16 Jul 2021 at 5:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic