JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for other artists like David Benoit...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for other artists like David Benoit...
    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 10:08am
Hi folks,

I’m brand new to the forum and was hoping you seasoned veterans could help me in my search for similar artists to David Benoit and Dave Grusin. My background includes a bachelor’s and master’s degree in music (bachelor’s - vocal performance & classical guitar, master’s - choral conducting & composition), so I tend toward more jazz that includes piano with standard instruments (bass, light guitar, drums, occasional sax, etc.) and orchestral nuances sprinkled in here and there.

I probably own every CD Benoit ever recorded and listen to over half of all his music on a regular basis. As for Grusin, I really only connected with one of his recordings, “Migration”, but I really like just about everything on that CD (but don’t really listen to the incidental pieces at the end of the recording, although their quite nice, too!).

That being said, who are some other artists that are in that same vein that I should investigate? I must confess my jazz tastes lie pretty much in that narrow field alone...not a fan of what I call “club” jazz that feature a piano, upright bass, small trap set, in which the songs are open-ended with each instrumentalist taking a 6-minute + solo on each song. Not knocking that, just not my cup of tea. Nor do I gravitate toward the more modern fusion avenues with drum machines, tons of synthesized sounds, and blaring sax throughout...once again, not a critique, just doesn’t ring my bell (and forgive me if I’ve painted these genres with too broad a brush, or ignorantly, no criticism was intended

Thanks,in advance, for any other artists to which you can direct me!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 10:55am
For Benoit I would recommend Bob James, for Gruisin maybe George Benson. There is another guitar player who is even closer, I'll get back when I remember his name.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:07am
The link below is to our pop jazz section. Check the recent videos by Mark Levine and Patrick Bradley, they may fit what you are looking for.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 11:15am
The other guitar player I was thinking of is Earl Klugh.
Clay49 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 5:57pm
Thanks for these suggestions. Earl Kluth, I am familiar with...looking more for piano jazz guys like Benoit.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 6:05pm
Try Mark Levine and Bob James.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic