JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member signing in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundfanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member signing in
    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 6:50am
G'day all, I just happened across the site, and thought I would join.

Over the last decade I seem to be listening to  mostly free/avant garde related music. I was and still am a big fan of more traditional jazz greats like Trane, Miles, Monk, Mingus etc, but wanted to be challenged more in my listening experiences.

I'm a huge fan of the excellent freejazzblog site and a lot of my purchases derive from the reviews read on that site. Always on the lookout for new music.

A few of my favourite artists these days are Fire! and Fire! Orchestra,  most groups with Ken Vandermark on board, and have nearly all of Satoko Fujii's huge catalogue with all the groups she plays with.

The Necks are another trio I love. But (like all here I imagine) I listen to and love a huge variety of artists.

I look forward to browsing the site, finding new music and maybe recommending some of my own likes, and interacting with some of you.

Chris

snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 7:09am
Hey,Chris

welcome on board Smile

I'm regular reader of freejazzblog too, besides of jazz they cover a lot of free improv scene, not always close to jazz

we here are possibly a bit more jazz -centered, incl. all trad jazz and mainstream as well
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:50am
Hi Chris and welcome to the site. Yes, we try to cover all the free jazz as well as non-jazz free improv as well. We try to cast a big net, jazz does not exist in a vacuum.

Ken Vandermark is also my favorite of the current avant-garde saxophonists. There is a lot of variety in his music and he can also rip off some crazy bebop and hard core soul too.

My musical journey started in the 70s with a lot of the more outside players, particularly Sun Ra, Archie Shepp and Albert Ayler. Over the years my tastes expanded and now I like almost any style of jazz except a few things here and there. There is still some strong free jazz these days, but I get a little tired of those who try it without enough in them to make it interesting.
Toffee. View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toffee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 12:59pm
Hi All.

Looking forward to Joining in a few conversations , re Jazz. I'm spinning The Modern Jazz Quartet this evening. It's like listening to a finely tuned Ferrari. 

Leonard.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 1:23pm
Hi Leonard and welcome to the site. MJQ was 'cool' defined. 
Toffee. View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toffee. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 1:28pm
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic