JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Béla Fleck and the Flecktones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Béla Fleck and the Flecktones
    Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 12:19pm
I didn't notice a thread for this band so I thought I'd start one.

I've been really enjoying this band recently. I never dived into their music much, I casually listened to them years back, but never fully explored their music. Of course, Bela Fleck has always been on my radar, as he has performed with several jazz artists, as well as pop and rock artists. And of course, Victor Wooten is the man, I enjoy some of his solo albums very much.

The only album I owned was their most recent album Rocket Science; bought it when it came out, very good album. I recently found a few of the Flecktones' studio albums at a local shop for very cheap so I figured I'd pick them up. Well now I am trying to get all their albums eventually. My favorite album of theirs, so far, is Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, it has a great mix of fusion, bluegrass-jazz, and funk.

As the warmer months arrive, I usually get into jam bands like Phish and String Cheese Incident, and while I don't like to lump Béla Fleck and the Flecktones in that category, the heavy use of banjo and harmonica in their music gives off that summer-time feel that most jam bands give off. Of course, the band is jazz and jazz-fusion first and foremost, and Béla Fleck plays guitar as well on some tunes, and he is very good at it.

How does everyone else feel about the band? Doesn't seem like they get mentioned much around here.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:24pm
No one into these guys??
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:49pm
my very limited experience (listened just a few albums)gave me impression they are unusual sounding ("country-jazz") band, some Americana spices,etc
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 1:57pm
If you haven't, try "Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest". That one is more fusion-y, if you will.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 2:02pm
Living in the US south, these guys are always around somewhere. A televised outdoor concert in the south is guaranteed to have the Flecktones on board, and this has been going on for quite a while. Having said that, I've always been impressed with them, but I never bought any albums. As Mike said, they are way more talented than the jam bands they get lumped with.

You have to give credit to Bela for re-introducing the banjo. Young people in the south are showing a re-interest in the instrument, and not just country music fans either.

Edited by js - 14 Apr 2013 at 2:04pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 2:07pm
I've been finding their albums cheap at my local shop, so I've been scooping them up. Being that the warmer months are coming, I've been sort of getting into the jam-band mindset, listening to Phish, String Cheese Incident, and Umphrey's McGee. That said, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones do have that jam-band feel, but being that they're very jazz-fusion oriented makes the experience even better.

Edited by darkshade - 14 Apr 2013 at 2:08pm
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Living in the US south, these guys are always around somewhere. A televised outdoor concert in the south is guaranteed to have the Flecktones on board, and this has been going on for quite a while. Having said that, I've always been impressed with them, but I never bought any albums. As Mike said, they are way more talented than the jam bands they get lumped with.

You have to give credit to Bela for re-introducing the banjo. Young people in the south are showing a re-interest in the instrument, and not just country music fans either.

Agreed. I don't necessarily find 'country' in their music, but definitely bluegrass (which is fun music), a little Americana, and folk. Mixed with the funky bass of Victor Wooten and the experimental drum sounds from his brother, their music is quite rewarding if you really listen to it.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 2:35pm
True, bluegrass and "Country and Western" are two different things, and folks have been mixing bluegrass and jazz for quite some time now.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 3:30am
I simply can't get into these guys... I love many styles/genre of music comming from the USA, but country (and its derivatives) is simply not one of them... Actually I downright haave strong dislike of it 

I know BF & tFT is not justt about country, it's about many other styles  that are endemic to the Appalachians and would rank more as "folk", but even then it's too present in their mix... It's not just bluegrass I hear...
 Not too long ago I saw Hot Tuna (Casady and Kaukonnen, and they played a whole variety of "folk", ranging from Virginia all the wxay down to Louisiana >> cajun... major overdose
One of two tracks, ok (no more).... more is quickly an overdose for me

All excellent musicians (both Fleck andf the tTuna boys), though... I don't think you can be a bad musician for these types of Appalachian folk genres...

Edited by Sean Trane - 15 Apr 2013 at 3:36am
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 10:06am
How about this?

Chicapah View Drop Down
JMA Special Collaborator
JMA Special Collaborator
Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicapah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 9:52am
Just noticed this thread and want to toss in my two cents.  Bela and his buddies are so unique as to discourage any and all labels being attached to them and that's what I like most about their music.  Their proficiency on their instruments is beyond question and their willingness to follow their muse wherever she leads is extremely inspiring.  I've reviewed several of their records on this site so they will explain my opinion of them better than this short blurb ever will.  I recommend "Outbound" (fitting title for these guys) to the uninitiated.  Not for all tastes but a treasure if it matches yours.
Make a joyful noise unto the Lord...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic