JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need jazz recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Volkmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need jazz recommendations
    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 4:49am
Hello jazz enthousiasts

I have been a music lover all my life. I love to listen to a great variety of different music styles, including jazz. However, I am so unfamiliar with jazz music, that I don't seem to find the type of jazz music that I like. Honestly, most jazz music I have tried, seems just too noisy, too smooth, or too dull for me.

Most jazz music that I like, was created by pop musicians (because I know a lot more about pop music than about jazz). For example, I love all work by Sade, which is kind of slow jazzy pop music, and I love Matt Bianco, which is more uptempo latin jazzy pop music. I really love the songs 'moon over bourbon street' by Sting, 'Lily was here' by Dave Stewart & Candy Dulpher, 'Kissing a fool' by George Michael (already a bit too smooth for me), 'your latest trick' by the Dire Straits, 'wild horses' by Gino Vanelli, and 'come together' and 'I want you' by the Beatles. I also like Nina Simone, Simon & Garfunkel, The Moody Blues, The Alan Parsons Project, Billy Joel, and several other artists and bands who included some 'jazzy' sounding music in their repertoire.

So my question to you is: what jazz would you recommend me, that is not too noisy (no showing off instrumental skills rather than playing music, and no big bands), not too smooth (I like a bit 'raw' sound, like Blues. Most jazz labeled 'smooth jazz' is way too smooth for me), and not too dull (I'm not looking for restaurant background music).

I would love to hear your recommendations about artists, albums (including compilation albums by various artists), and even individual tracks that you particularly love. I am an audiophile, so I'm not really interested in old (pre-WWII) recordings. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Volkmar - 01 Jul 2020 at 1:16pm
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 6:33am
Steely Dan will probably fit well on your list  (if you still don't know them), they weren't jazz artists though, as many others on you list:

or just one of them, Donald Fagen solo:

almost all their albums are of audiophile quality :)

are you interested in instrumental music as well, or vocal songs only (as all artists on your list)?

Edited by snobb - 01 Jul 2020 at 6:36am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 7:09am
A lot of the music you like can be found in our jazz related pop section, such as Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell and Chicago.

Volkmar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Volkmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 11:45am
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

are you interested in instrumental music as well, or vocal songs only (as all artists on your list)?

Yes I also like instrumental music a lot! Thanks for your recommendations so far. I'll certainly check them out!
Volkmar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Volkmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 11:48am
Originally posted by js js wrote:

A lot of the music you like can be found in our jazz related pop section, such as Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell and Chicago.

Thanks for the tip! But I'm also looking for actual jazz now, not just jazz related pop music.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 12:43pm
^ Who is a jazz artist that you like?
Volkmar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Volkmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:36pm
The only 'real jazz artists' I mentioned in my first post seem to be Nina Simone and Candy Dulpher. 

What I like about the Sting song (moon over bourbob street) and 'Lily was here' by Dave Stewart and Candy Dulpher, is that they are pretty minimalistic. I have tried searching for 'minimal jazz' (like minimal techno), but my search didn't give me any results.

I also like The Guitar Trio (Al di Meola, Paco de Lucia and John McLaughlin), and I like Toots Thielemans' beautiful  harmonica. I also like piano music like Louis van Dijk and Pim Jacobs.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:21pm
Euge Groove, Boney James and maybe Brian Culbertson may be similar to Candy Dulpher.
Volkmar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Volkmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:35am
thanx for your tips!

Edited by Volkmar - 25 Jul 2020 at 10:37am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:54am
You're welcome. 
Tzeck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tzeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:03am
I think you would like Ahmad Jamal - not quite the minimalist, but not an expansionist either. Beautiful piano work and groovy rhythms.

I first got into jazz with the smooth jazz-like, but very song-oriented (although vocal-less) music of Acoustic Alchemy. (Candy Dulfer being the other "starter" one). The first real jazz musician for me should have been Lars Danielsson, I guess. Try his album from 2017, for instance. The compositions there are almost hit-material :) Or Tarantella.

I highly recommend two Serbian bands that are jazz and something more: Vasil Hadžimanov Band (Balkan folk motives here, but not excessive) and Fish in Oil (blues, punk and rock in the mix, quite cinematographic at places).

___

AJ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUvkO4A5Vo
AA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39CXw-ycXjY
LD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5wyaauKkjg
VHB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj5SjI53ixk
FiO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZNU1dNQYdY

But don't take my choice of tracks for granted, do your own search.

Edited by Tzeck - 10 Aug 2020 at 5:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic