JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Jazz related lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Jazzy Jamaican Ska/Rocksteady/Reggae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potbelly MacKraken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jazzy Jamaican Ska/Rocksteady/Reggae
    Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 2:09pm
Howzit, everyone?   I'm Potbelly MacKraken, a 60's Jamaican Ska/Rocksteady/Reggae composer/musician/producer from California; There's a lot of Jazz and Latin influence on my music, so I figured it would fit in well here.  I'm a solo artist, so I do everything myself that you hear in my music, from playing the instruments (tenor and 6 string guitar, ukulele, bass, piano, tenor sax), recording, mixing, and mastering.  I also do all my own artwork design.  I'm trying to get my music introduced to fans of Jamaican music and Jazz throughout the world, so I'd be really appreciative if you would be willing to check out my tunes, make some purchases if you dig what you hear, and most importantly share with your friends who like this type of music!   

My bandcamp page:   https://potbellymackraken.bandcamp.com/

The Giant Sounds EP, Some Love Ya, Some Hate Ya single, A Little Slice of Heaven single, the Full of Life single, the Oceania single, and the Once in a Blue Moon single are all new releases from 2019.  

Thanks for your interest and support!
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 6:51pm
Hi Potbelly, I like your music. 
I worked with some Jamaican bands in Northern California. You wouldn't happen to know Mr Majestic or Ishmael from the Dub Addx?
Potbelly MacKraken View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Potbelly MacKraken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2019 at 10:29pm
Hi JS, thanks for listening to my stuff and for the complement!

Sorry, I don't know those two individuals.  I'm from the Central Coast of CA and don't get up north much..or south for that matter.  Plus, I mostly do the 60s Jamaican stuff, so I don't really know the newer acts past the early 70s or unless they are modern groups but do that 60s sound.  The 60s stuff just catches my attention more.    Not that the newer Jamaicans acts are bad; they are talented in their own right....it just doesn't catch my attention as much, ya know?  I'm not a rasta or into the rasta culture, I don't smoke pot, and I'm not much a fan of rap, so there's just not much appeal in the newer Jamaican sounds that do the roots stuff or the dancehall/reggaeton stuff.   Now put on Jazz Jamaica, that's my style!

If you like that Ska-Jazz sound  like Jazz Jamaica as well, you should check out Western Standard Time, a group of rotating LA musicians that do big band arrangements of old Skatalites tunes.  They have two records out...http://wstska.com/  
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2019 at 12:19pm
^ Thanks, I will check them out. I like the rock steady sound, early ska and roots dub too, but only some of the dancehall 'slackness'.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic