JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am writing a paper about jazz!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdg47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am writing a paper about jazz!
    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 10:45am
Hi all!
My name is Kaitlyn and I am a first year music major. I have an assignment where I must conduct interviews and I decided that the best route would be over a forum. Any and all responses will be much appreciated!

1.     1. How did you get into jazz music, instead of a different genre?

2.     2. For the casual performers, what inspires you to keep going to small venues and performing?

3.     3. What does it mean to you to be able to perform and experience music you love on a nearly daily basis?

4.     4. Where do you think you would be today if you had not gotten into this scene?

5.     5. Have you ever questioned your music career choices? If so, why and what led you to question it? 

Thank you!

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 10:49am
Hi Kaitlyn, I'm a music major and a pro performer and teacher and I will be glad to answer your questions, but it will have to wait until later tonight. Check back later and I will have answered all of them.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 5:23pm
!.) The way I got into jazz was through the worlds of rock and RnB. As I became a teenager I began to be more and more interested in musicians who could do good solos, for instance the members of Santana or Deep Purple. From there I started seeking out musicians who could do even better solos, mostly jazz musicians.

2.) I've always preferred smaller venues to larger more commercial ones. That is one of things that made post bop in a small club more appealing than fusion in a concert hall, or what made experimental post punk more interesting than stadium rock.

3.) When you make your living in music, you will get to participate in some wonderful things, but you will also have to develop the sort of discipline that will get you through some terribly boring and meaningless endeavors. 

4.) Hard to say, possibly prison. I was a very mischievous young person, music gave me something that could keep my attention on something positive. Some other fields I have worked in include the restaurants business, home improvement, general education and painting.

5.) No, I have never doubted my decision to go with music. Its not a great way to make the big bucks, but I really could not see myself doing anything other than what I do.

Edited by js - 24 Nov 2019 at 5:45pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic