JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BBC Big Band maybe?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshalld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BBC Big Band maybe?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:21pm
Maybe someone can help me find this recording... I heard a big band alto saxophone feature recording of How Do We Keep The Music Playing by Michel Legrand. I called the radio station and they said it was The BBC Big Band, featuring Barry Robinson on alto sax.

How can best I listen to this? 

If it is indeed the BBC Big Band, can you point me to how I can buy a copy?  

Thank you very much.

Marsh DeMott
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:30pm
Do you know the name of the album?
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:33pm
I just tried several different searches and nothing came up, we probably need the name of the album, if it exists.
marshalld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshalld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 1:32pm
Thank you for looking. I don't know the album name. Cry
marshalld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshalld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 1:32pm
I have to say the playing and arrangement are tops.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:09pm
You may want to ask the DJ where the song comes from, because I can not find it on any albums.
marshalld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshalld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:40pm
Thanks...it's frustrating.

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:42pm
Here is a list of all the versions of that song, or at least most of them:

marshalld View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marshalld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 3:58am
I asked the radio station for the name of the album...waiting to hear back.

Bazzie Smith View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bazzie Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 1:13pm
This would have have a BBC radio session, and not a commercial recording. It would therefore not be available for purchase.
Barrydog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 12:54pm
Hi there, The track you are asking about is my recording of that song with the BBC Big Band. I was the Lead Alto Sax with the BBC Big Band/Radio Orchestra from 1969-2000. I will check to see if I can find it in my collection of my recordings and let you know.  Thanks for your inquiry.
Barrydog View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 1:11pm
That track is on a BBC CD.  'Mellow Jazz'  WMEN 0025-2   BBC Big Band 1998 Recording.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 1:14pm
Thanks a lot Barry and hopefully Marsh will check back and pick up this info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic