1 [9.09%]
8 [72.73%]
2 [18.18%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 very different trumpet players
    Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 11:19am
Three very different trumpet players, but all very influential:
Hubbard has played everything from avant-garde to pop and usually features a full brassy attack.
Molvaer is the leader of the nu cool school, but he has plenty of fire when its called for.
Cherry, known for his high quirky sound with Coleman, has pioneered the avant-garde, as well as world music and different types of fusion.

I thought it might be interesting to see who is the favorite here.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 11:36am
The Hub Of Hubbard.

Honestly, I don't really know the first one. But Freddie Hubbard has a lot of great albums. I particularly like that his bands sometimes were interchangeable with Miles' groups from the 60s, with the difference being who was playing trumpet.

I really like Herbie Hancock's V.S.O.P which is out-of-print, and you can't even download it. But it's on Spotify, and the first half of the album is the quartet of Herbie and Freddie, along with Tony Williams, Ron Carter, and Wayne Shorter. There are some hot fire performances on there.

I also like Don Cherry, from what I've heard, but I don't have any of his albums. I know he's on albums I have though... I think....
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 11:41am
Yeah, my favorite Hubbard album is that first Hancock VSOP album. Very intense trumpet work. I have that album on vinyl, and for fans of the brief Hancock Sextet, they also get one side on that double LP live set.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 12:03pm
From all three I know Hubbard's music less than of two others. Based on what I know voted for Don Cherry - his early collaborations/solo albums are interesting to great (not too much impressed by his world fusion music though)
idlero View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idlero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 12:06pm
NPM for me
I think the problem with a lot of the fusion music is that it's extremely predictable, it's a rock rhythm and the solos all play the same stuff and they play it over and over again ...
Ken Burns
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 3:45pm
I don't know the first, but of the other two Cherry.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 10:43pm
Because Mike almost explained, my thought accorded. I think that Hubbard did a splendid performance in VSOP and Art Blakey's JM if I add a personal opinion. I in particular always liked performances in the formation of Shorter - Hubbard - Fuller.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 2:25am
NPM's name doesn't ring a bell (should it??)

Went with Hubbard

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
JMA Jazz Reviewer
JMA Jazz Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 5:29pm
Molvaer, while talented, doesn't belong in a poll with Hubbard and Cherry.

As much as I love Hubbard (especially Straight Life), I must vote here for Don Cherry. His work with Old and New Dreams, as well as the El Corazon and Art Deco albums is impeccable!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic