JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aggressive free jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 1:57am
and yes - if you want really destructive free attack - go for Japanese artists LOL

Sax Ruins are soft (and more jazzier form) :

Otomo Yoshihide is more radical

Edited by snobb - 15 Feb 2013 at 2:13am
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 7:19am
Originally posted by pinknote pinknote wrote:

Alan Silva and the Celestrial Communication Orchestra - Luna Surface
Dave Burrell - Echo

Maybe what you are looking for?...  or maybe not...

Silva's debut is a odd 28 minutes cacophony from great line-up - and I like it, but comparing with it "Machine Gun" is well-organized and structured high-energy album LOL
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

and yes - if you want really destructive free attack - go for Japanese artists LOL
Sax Ruins are soft (and more jazzier form) :
Otomo Yoshihide is more radical

Ahh yeah...I have that Sax Ruins album actually and its quite excellent. I guess I always put it more in a rock context than a jazz one. But I'll give it a listen tonight still.

I'll look into that other one (as I quite enjoy all the players), thanks.

Edited by Cannonball With Hat - 16 Feb 2013 at 3:42pm
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 7:52am
The Thing have lot of different collaboration releases, one more interesting one (if expensive, double vinyl release only) is their album "Metal!" with English bassist Barry Guy (album's title says all)

http://soundcloud.com/quinteroax/the-thing-with-barry-guy-ride

Edited by snobb - 30 Mar 2013 at 7:54am
Padraic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Padraic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Last Exit and certain albums by Sonny Sharrock.

Ahh yes... Last Exit. I do have an album by them (Headfirst Into The Flames) I should dig it out and give it another listen. Thanks for the tip.

Get the Last Exit s/t.  That's definitely among the most brutal albums I own.

Ever hear Brotzmann's Clarinet Project "Berlin Djungle"?  Zorn plays on it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by js js wrote:

Last Exit and certain albums by Sonny Sharrock.

Ahh yes... Last Exit. I do have an album by them (Headfirst Into The Flames) I should dig it out and give it another listen. Thanks for the tip.

Get the Last Exit s/t.  That's definitely among the most brutal albums I own.
Ever hear Brotzmann's Clarinet Project "Berlin Djungle"?  Zorn plays on it.

I've heard Iron Gate and it was surprising not the clusterfuck of sound I was expecting. Is S/t more similar to MG or similar things?

And I haven't. I'll look for it.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 9:31pm
Also, whoever suggested The Thing probably got the closest to what I was looking for. Specifically thinking of their collab with Otomo Y (Shinjuku Crawl). Part One of that song is heavenly (a brutal heaven). Admittedly, other The Thing albums don't scratch this specific itch, but the ones I've heard at least are excellent.

Also, Ayler's Slug's Saloon is absolutely fantastic. Unfortunately, the recording quality is average at best (and fluctuates throughout) and even in its best moments the drums are horribly under recorded. If that existed in pristine (or at least 'fairly good) condition that would be a holy grail document IMHO.

Edited by Cannonball With Hat - 03 Apr 2013 at 9:32pm
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
FromArmstrongtoZappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FromArmstrongtoZappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 1:14pm
I see there are some really great ideas for free jazz. www.wkcr.org plays a lot of free, intense on their jazz segments, usually Tuesdays at 6 p.m. Thursdays at noon. I'm listening now and there playing some hard stuff. I have Coltrane's Ascension which is an intense one for me. Also his Interstellar Space is out there.
www.FromArmstrongtoZappa.blogspot.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 12:36am
^ Thanks for that!

I've actually heard of that station before and listen regularly (or at least, as regularly as I listen to the radio). Quite enjoy the jazz and avant blocks they have.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 12:38am
Also,

Just to keep this tread up to date, probably the best thing I've found in this realm is Charles Gayle, specifically the album Look Up. The first and last tracks are absolute gods of free jazz and really catures that raw, visceral intensity that I love. (Not that the other tracks are slouches of course)
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chozal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:35pm
Hey there :3 sorry to revive an old thread, but I saw it in the upper ones and thought my guitar teacher could fit the bill. He made an album with Tony Malaby recently entitled Haptein.

Here are video excerpts from a Parisian gig they did :

Hope you'll like it :3

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 8:31pm
Thanks for all that. 
If Richard Bonnet has any albums out under his name, we would be glad to add him to the site, let us know.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 10:16pm
Cool stuff Chozal. I'll listen to vids when I have the time, but thanks for posting.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Chozal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chozal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 9:31pm
I don't think his trio recorded an album yet, although a second album with Malaby, Tom Rainy and Anthony Rayonis in the works from what I heard ^^

Now i've got to contribute actual and non-promotional posts to the board :3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic