JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Jazz Music Lounges >Jazz Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aggressive free jazz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aggressive free jazz
    Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 9:46pm
Hello,

A quick history of my experience with free/avant/out jazz: The first album of it's ilk that I"ve bought was Peter Brotzmann's Machine Gun. I loved the way it felt like the music was a brick hitting me in the face 17 times a minute. So much sound. Unfortunately, I fear this has also spoiled me. No other free/etc jazz album has filled me with such feelings and ultimately I feel disappointed. Even other Brotzmann works I've heard, don't measure up in terms of visceral intensity. Thus...

I do quite like free jazz...but wish I knew more of it that was aggressive, in your face, destruction via sound type stuff. I can enjoy the quieter, more introspective side of free jazz...but what I really like and look for in free jazz is the opposite.

So I turn my eyes to you, all knowing, jazz loving populace of JMA. What can you recommend for me in terms of aggressive (Visceral, fiery, noisy, eardrum destroying) free jazz? (basically, in the Machine Gun Spirit)

(Note: I have explored the sub a bit and am familiar with some of the big guns [like Ayler's Spiritual Unity and Coltrane's noisier side]. However, please recommend anything...even if it seems obvious.)

Many thanks.
Hit it on Five.

Saxophone Scatterbrain Blitzberg

Stab them in the ears.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 10:38pm
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:33am
The new album by Merzbow, Gustafsson and Pandi, also the song "Atlantis" from the Sun Ra album of the same name.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 3:01am
Mats Gustafsson's The Thing:

Mats Gustafsson's Fire!:

Ken Vandermark:

Atomic: 

Alternatively, Marc Ducret:

Edited by snobb - 10 Feb 2013 at 3:28am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 4:10am
Last Exit and certain albums by Sonny Sharrock.
Cannonball With Hat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Kazuhiro Kazuhiro wrote:

Mmmmm...that was excellent! Thanks.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

The new album by Merzbow, Gustafsson and Pandi, also the song "Atlantis" from the Sun Ra album of the same name.

I wasn't even aware of the first thing existing. That sounds absolutely wonderful. I'll certainly investigate.

Sun Ra I am also familiar with. I should go through more things that I have by him. That saxophone did get pretty screechy at times.

EDIT: Just so I don't have four posts in a row...thanks snobb. I'll get to those vids in due time.

Edited by Cannonball With Hat - 10 Feb 2013 at 10:06pm
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by js js wrote:

Last Exit and certain albums by Sonny Sharrock.

Ahh yes... Last Exit. I do have an album by them (Headfirst Into The Flames) I should dig it out and give it another listen. Thanks for the tip.

Also, what Sonny Sharrock albums would you recommend? (I've explored exactly zero of what he has done solo)
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 5:29am
Probably Sharrock's most intense work is with Last Exit, his albums can be sort of inconsistent.

"Atlantis" features some of Sun Ra's most intense electronic keyboard work, there is some of that on "Live at Montreaux" too. I have reviews up for both albums. "Montreaux" has everything from Duke Ellington played weird to pure high volume noise on the synthesizer and electric keyboards.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 7:43pm
^ Ahh. Well perhaps for the best as SS albums seem to be all sorts of out of print. I did find Ask The Ages on youtube, and while excellent, definitely not in the spirit of this thread.

I do need to go though all my Sun Ra again. I was quite a SR kick a couple of years ago. I actually bought LAM after becoming aware of it via your review. Unfortunately that was near the end of my SR kick and I never did actually listen to it. Will remedy soon...
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 8:41pm
@ Snobb: I've heard of The Thing but haven't had a chance to investigate past that. Any cds you recommend to start?

That Vandermark/Love Duo was pretty sweet too...especially the early part with both of them going full throttle. The only Vandermark I've heard was The Vandermark 5 which didn't foliate my bananas, if you catch my drift. Any recommendations here?
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 10:34pm
Everybody likes this scene from spongebob:
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Cannonball With Hat Cannonball With Hat wrote:

@ Snobb: I've heard of The Thing but haven't had a chance to investigate past that. Any cds you recommend to start?

That Vandermark/Love Duo was pretty sweet too...especially the early part with both of them going full throttle. The only Vandermark I've heard was The Vandermark 5 which didn't foliate my bananas, if you catch my drift. Any recommendations here?

Good place to start with The Thing (especially searching for music which could blow you away - physically) is their album "The Bag" from 2009 (BTW  engineered by Steve Albini)

You can hear all album here:

Not so familiar with Ken Vandermark all albums, know mostly his early works. BTW you can have The Thing and Vandermark "two in one" both on one album of the same name: 

You can listen all album here:

Edited by snobb - 13 Feb 2013 at 1:34am
pinknote View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinknote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 6:48am
Alan Silva and the Celestrial Communication Orchestra - Luna Surface
Dave Burrell - Echo

Maybe what you are looking for?...  or maybe not...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 5:00pm
Ahh...great snobb. I'll check those out. Thanks

Originally posted by pinknote pinknote wrote:

Alan Silva and the Celestrial Communication Orchestra - Luna SurfaceDave Burrell - EchoMaybe what you are looking for?...  or maybe not...

I'll investigate these, thanks.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2013 at 8:28pm
I have limited knowledge, and you probably know these already, but Coltrane's late work, Sun Ra's stuff, Pat Metheny "X", and Sonny Sharrock fall into that category.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 3:15am
Oohh yes. I forgot about Pat's Song X. I'll have to see if I can find my copy.

Any specific SS albums you can recommend??
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 4:26am
just my two cents (I believe Sharrock album's evaluation strongly depends on personal taste):

His debut is a bomb - avant-garde jazz of late 60s with screaming guitar, in some sense "Machine Gun" analog in States. Second - "Monkey-Pockey-Boo" - is very similar, but a bit secondary (as if "Machine Gun" was never released "Nipples" would be a masterpiece)."Paradise" is a weak point."Dance With Me Montana" is a change of direction and really strong album, just in different style. Instead of AG jazz of three previous albums you get here mix of jazz-rock,heavy funk and AG jazz. If you like this better, probably "Seize The Rainbow" is the best choice. His last album "Ask The Ages" is probably best combination of his all styles in one, in some sense return to roots (but you can't get back this late 60s atmosphere)

Edited by snobb - 15 Feb 2013 at 1:53am
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 7:59am
I think the make or break on some of those early albums is whether or not you like the vocal improvisations, also I believe there is an album where Sharrock plays "free" slide whistle for a good part of the album, as opposed to guitar.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cannonball With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 6:52pm
I'll admit...the idea of free slide whistle does intrigue me.

But yes...finding samples from Black Woman and MPB I don't think they are my thing. I'll listen to songs at some point, but the snippets seemed not what I was looking for. And yes...the voice was no help. I'm not a fan of vocals in jazz...and these particular ones seemed to overshadow the music quite a bit.

I'll see if I can find something from STR.
Hit it on Five.

Stab them in the ears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic