JazzMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Suggest new bands/artists to JMA
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Supertramp, pop/ja crossover, to jazz related rock
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Supertramp, pop/ja crossover, to jazz related rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Supertramp, pop/ja crossover, to jazz related rock
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 2:51pm
I think from Indelible Stamped uptil there last album they become more and more Jazz influenced and from Free as aa Bird and outworth they had more and more jazz rock, songs, but even their mid 70s songs had their jazz leanings, like piano intros. solos, sax solos are very jazzy in style, most of Rick Davis tunes are jazz related rock (or prog), with hints of blues,  i think all the albums from Indelible Stamped to Sloq Motion is jazz influence art rock, not jazz fusion but jazz rock, with a structure and feel that was closer to jazz then rock at some points..

in some of the ways Steely Dan is sofisticated pop jazz so is Supertramp a sofisticated jazzy pop/prog band, that developed more and more to a jazz rock group
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:24pm
I'm inclined to disagree.
Polo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:32pm
They're jazz just like Beardfish

That's Kenny G with Miles Davis on my avatar, by the way.
Abraxas View Drop Down
JMA Collaborator
JMA Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abraxas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 6:40pm
PLEASE GUYS, AS OF RIGHT NOW SIMPLY SUGGEST PURE JAZZ ARTISTS/BANDS THAT WE MAY HAVE MISSED, DON'T SUGGEST YET CONTROVERSIAL BANDS/ARTISTS THAT ARE UNDOUBTEDLY NOT PURE JAZZ (Eg: Supertramp, Beardfish)
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Abraxas Abraxas wrote:

PLEASE GUYS, AS OF RIGHT NOW SIMPLY SUGGEST PURE JAZZ ARTISTS/BANDS THAT WE MAY HAVE MISSED, DON'T SUGGEST YET CONTROVERSIAL BANDS/ARTISTS THAT ARE UNDOUBTEDLY NOT PURE JAZZ (Eg: Supertramp, Beardfish)

WORD
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:59am
ok im fine with  a no, im just testing the system, and I let my fanboyisme delude my  sense of responsabilaty, for bringing up a stretshy addition suggestion, but i don't teke ^^ yelling remarks seriously ether, rude replays gose thrugh me like it is nothing. so if this angerd people well, then that was not my intention, but I don't take yelling and rude coments to serious, I only wants to be an active user and see what goes and what goes not, to see where the limts are. I can ofcourse suggest more jazz artist from that are jazz, that are not here

Like Radka Toneff for jazz vocalists,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radka_Toneff 

i could also add Katie Melua WHO SHOULD BE HERE.  here first album is jazz album http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Melua

Edited by Asmodean - 13 Apr 2011 at 9:02am
"I created these characters, and I am an Old Testament God with my fist in the middle of their lives." by Robert Jordan Auther of the Wheel of Time fantasy wonderstory

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:51am
OK, I'll look around on the internet and see if I can find musical examples of those artists, it is helpful if you can post musical examples with your suggestions, anyways, thanks for the suggestions.
Asmodean View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asmodean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:12am
Manfred Mann chapter three

js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:30am
Thanks, I'll check it out, your two jazz vocalists have been approved.
snobb View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snobb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 1:22pm
Radka Toneff and Katie Melua added
js View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Site admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote js Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 1:36pm
Thanks Slava, we're going to hold off on Chapter Three for a bit, we may add all of Manfred Mann's different groups under his name in JR/Rock, or maybe we will only add Chapter 3. That decision will be made eventually, but not soon.
Anyway, the 2 jazz singers were added.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic